2nd shots with D700

stillbound

got my hands on it again and while I still can't seem to open the raws (i tried converting to dng - and i tried

downolading the newest acr)

I took three shots at 800, 3200, and 6400

I'd say the 6400 is less than impressive...again as before these are not art. These are just super quick tests...<div>00Q6up-55505584.thumb.jpg.97bb4e0f1e88dce2fa4195cfca4e3cb9.jpg</div>

I think it is safe to say that the D700 has essentially identical high-ISO performance as the D3

(since the two are supposed to have identical electronic engines, not merely the same sensor).

The D3 is still quite good at 3200. 6400 is still fine and I wouldn't hesitate to use it, but if you don't have to go to 6400, I would stay with 3200 or lower. Of course, the closer to the based ISO 200, the better the quality will be.

I know that is vague, but that would be my suggestion.

I suppose one of the (dis)advantages of working at B&H is worldwide publicity with Nikon aficionados... Interesting to see the shots, had my F100 stolen recently, which I preferred using to my D2Xs, and think this will be the perfect replacement.

I'm with Aaron...perhaps people have forgotten (or have never used!) 800 and 1000 film and how great the 800 was, and still is by many, considered to be. The fact that we can have a discussion about any digital camera shooting at 6400ISO is pretty amazing to me, and that it really is quite good--better than most cameras shot 800ISO just a few years ago--is even more amazing. I think the camera's performance at 6400 is great!

Just looking at the noise, the ISO 3200 is similar to ISO 400 with my Canon 40D under similar lighting conditions. The ISO

6400 is not much worse. They are very nice quality shots.

I think they are better than what would be possible with film.

What do you all think about that?

Impressive results. I'm sure the D700 is going to be in a lot of wedding photographer's bags. I certainly would choose it if could not afford the D3 and was not able to handle the weight of the D3. Thanks for the posts

jim..I think you are being too excited about d700 :) I dont think 3200 on d700 would equal to 800 on a d300.. I can get very good 3200 results from my d300. maybe not as good as the samples above but not certainly 4x worse..