Fell in the Ocean - Repair Possibilities?

rob_strong1

Long story short, I fell in the damn Atlantic Ocean with my digital kit. Everything described below was briefly

immersed in seawater, with some sand for good measure. In increasing order of how much hope I have for

resurrecting them, I soaked:

20D

BG-E2 Battery Grip

50mm f1.8 lens

70-200 f2.8 L IS lens

16-35 f2.8 L lens

2 BP 511 batteries

All the lenses appear to have salt water in between the internal elements. Other than take the caps and filters

off of everything and let them sit for a while, I haven't done anything (the fall was on Friday night). I think

I'm going to be covered by my insurance for the loss, but what chances to y'all think these pieces have for

recovery at this point?

Many thanks,

Rob

(P.S. Big shout-out to the Sandisk corporation for not losing any of the day's pictures that were on the card in

the camera, or incurring any damage to the other 2 cards in my camera bag!)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Long story short, I fell in the damn Atlantic Ocean with my digital kit"

Funniest thing i've read in a long time.... I know its actually really terrible... but you just left so much of the story out, I couldn't help but laugh. Thanks :)

I don't know about repairs, but did you call canon yet?

at the very least, you should rinse everything in multiple changes of distilled water and then probably an alcohol dunk.

saltwater is about the worst thing for electronics if left unrinsed.

you have nothing to lose at this point and it will simply corrode.

FWIW Bob, I once fell into a fresh water River while fly fishing with a Nikon F3hp, MD-4 and 50mm F1.4 around my neck. Again, it went under for a brief moment, but sadly , that's all it took for the small amount of electronics to just corrode and become messy. Camera and all was beyond repair (the lens was repairable only)

Now, the Atlantic ocean being salt water, all i can do is offer you best wishes, and hope that you had insurance on your gear.

Good luck

There is a slight possibility that your homeowner's insurance may cover it (if you have insurance). Give your

agent a call.

Isn't it a great time for an upgrade (which you were probably thinking about anyway!

Your story is proof that you should never shoot a wedding for a friend. And how important backup gear really is.

I once got knocked down by a large wave (on Mexico's Pacific coast) and my Pentax K1000 with 35-105mm lens got soaked and dragged through the sand. I had a gallon of purified water and rinsed everything as best as possible, then dried them in the sun. I continued using the camera body for the rest of the trip but the lens had water marks and sand inside. When I got home I was told by the local camera repair person that the lens wasn't worth dismantling to clean. The camera body continued to work until I traded it in a few years later. By then, I could see some corrosion coming out of the bottom plate joint. The camera continued working though.

I wouldn't bet on modern electronic lenses and bodies though. I've heard it is best to remove the batteries, dunk them in fresh water and leave them there until they get to the repair shop. As someone else said - I'd call Canon and take their advice. It will be an expensive repair if it's possible at all.

Hi Rob,

I have many experiences of cameras and seawater, believe me your kit is dead. I worked on a dive boat for years and the chances of saving any of it for any more than the shortest term are very slim. The best thing to do, and we always had fresh water rinse buckets available, is to remove any and all batteries, submerge in fresh water for a day or so then dry out very slowly. Trouble with most cameras is they have memory batteries or capacitors that you can't get to or discharge, it is the current going through the sea water that leads to corrosion. The lenses might work but not for long especially if you have water inside them. The reason any reputable company will refuse to repair it is that they know the repair will not last, they cannot warranty it.

Insurance companies will always take the cheapest route, sea water immersion is a no contest replacement, they won't even bother looking at it half the time, if you are covered then get the payout.

Sorry!

I cringed when I read that because (like you, I'm sure) I really try to take care of my equipment. But as we used to say in the Air Force, "You gotta expect some losses in any combat organization." At least you were out taking a risk and using your equipment instead of keeping it in the car because there was an ocean nearby. Personally, I always need to keep reminding myself not to be a slave to my possessions.

Rob I'm real sorry, sorry that you had to go into Best Buy. That is worse than dropping a camera in salt water. My AT-1 and 50 1.4 FD way back in 1980 was simply overlapped by one small shore wave at the Atlantic (Fernandina Beach) and it was history. At least you have some nice equipment you can experimentally take apart.

You know what's amazing, WT? I wound up at Best Buy because I was displeased with the quality of service at

Circuit City. Hey, at least they both had a 40D in stock.

I should add that I really appreciate the current Photo.net ad campaign, which features a body-boarder riding a

gnarly ocean wave, reflected in a Canon L-series lens. Good luck with that!

Rob

OUCH!

OK, some of your gear might survive.

Right now, as others have suggested: soak EVERYTHING, lenses and all, in fresh water. Remove all your batteries first, of course. Don't forget the coin-shaped memory cell in the camera. Keep changing out the water. Be sure to drain the water from the equipment and then refill, burping out air bubbles. When you've got the salt water out, do a couple of final rinses by soaking in distilled water. Then drain and dry as best you can.

My prognosis:

20D -- toast; not worth the repair. I expect none of the circuitry is any good anymore.

BG-E2 Battery Grip -- will live. May need a bit of cleanup internally -- a good DIY project.

50mm f1.8 lens -- not worth repairing. However, if you are willing to ship it to me at my expense, I would greatly appreciate the donation for an experiment of mine: http://www.graphic-fusion.com/beyondbokeh.htm

70-200 f2.8 L IS lens -- ship to Canon ASAP for repairs! The optics can be cleaned up. The mechanics can be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. The electronics can be replaced. If you can't get the lens repaired, I would greatly appreciate it as a donation -- shipped at my expense.

16-35 f2.8 L lens -- ship to Canon ASAP for repairs! The optics can be cleaned up. The mechanics can be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. The electronics can be replaced. If you can't get the lens repaired, I would greatly appreciate it as a donation -- shipped at my expense.

2 BP 511 batteries -- see if they charge up. If so, use them.

your flash: MIGHT live if it was off at the time and had little or no residual charge in the main cap. The dry-out might be difficult. You might need to disassemble it. DO NOT power it up until it is bone dry.

Good luck! And as I said, I would greatly appreciate the donation of any optics pronounced dead. I'll very happily pay shipping.

Ouch.

Somehow, dunking any piece of camera equipment in a bucket of water -- fresh, or not -- seems so counter-intuitive to the

idea of saving it.

Hope everything works out with insurance! I've never been close to the situation you've described, but from all the

comments above, insurance seems like the only hope.

Sorry for your loss. I shoot in, on and around salt water very often. I've decided if I drop any of my DSLR cameras or AF lenses (or flash, or grips), in the ocean, then I won't bother trying to get them back. Dave at my local Canon Certified repair shop agrees.

I'm not 100% about optics, but for electronics even distilled water is a big no no. Isopropyl alcohol saved my cell phone after a trip in the sink. The alcohol displaces the water, does not conduct, and dries without residue.

Three weeks ago I had a little canoe mishap that resulted in the loss of a G9, a Panasonic PV-GS320 camcorder, and a

Blackberry Curve. And no-go on the homeowner's insurance, at least for me. They said it didn't cover dropping things in

the water. I am in the process of getting a personal property policy... Good luck!