Hi Jospeh, this could be a colour profile issue? Do you shoot in Adobe98 or sRGB? The reason I ask is because OS X

can handle colour profiles across the operating system so images shot in Adobe98 will look crisp and colourful. Windows

XP (not sure about Vista) can not and only really support sRGB. If you therefor view an Adobe98 profiles images on a

Windows XP machine in say Inetrenet Explorer or through the OS, it will look subdued and weird.

I also notice that my images look brgihter on other peoples machines as they tend to (incorrectly) have the screen

brightness at 100%.

Hope this helps.

~S

Adobe RGB (and sRGB) is a device-independent color space which defines the color (RGB values) for each word in the image file. While it looks like a profile, it must not be used as such. If you want one display to look like another (reasonably well), you need to calibrate the displays using hardware and software for that purpose. The hardware includes a device to measure the red, green and blue levels in color patchs displayed on the monitor. Luminosity (brightness) is one of the calibrated parameters.

A color managed program, like Photoshop, will use the embedded color space to interpret the image file so that all color spaces will look the same (other than gamut limits).

Stewart, I don't really think that's true. Vista has a pretty advanced color module now, but in any case, the difference between color model selections such as sRGB and Adobe98 is clearly visible in Photoshop even under XP.

Macs make color management really easy, but it's not very hard in any recent version of Windows either. You can even have color-managed browsers now in Windows, such as Firefox 3.0.

Steven,

Yeah, I suppose that's true, but why would you ever evaluate photo color outside of a good photo editor? A color aware web browser makes sense, at least as long as you're looking at profiled images. Not sure what other applications I'd need to be color managed.