Canon 40d won't turn on

jasna_hodzic

If the battery is in properly , the contacts are clean and the CF card door is fully closed, the camera should come to life when you turn the power switch.

If it doesn't, it's broken and you need to call Canon.

There's no secret switch or reset button. If it doesn't come on, it's a malfunction.

I was changing lens and my tumb accidently caught the mode dial and turned it from AV all the way to "no flash", the camera froze, nothing could be done, I removed the backup battery. When I put both the back up and main battery back in, my 40D came back to life. Have you tried removing the back up battery?

Are you using a Canon battery?

I had some strange things happen to my 40D with one of my Optek brand batteries - including the problem you describe. This battery was new and fully charged. The 40D also generated various error messages with this battery installed (including err 99 and the "Clean Contacts" message) and I also had problems with the AF on my 70-200 f/2.8L.

It was the second Optek battery that I bought. The first one worked (and still works) fine.

Henry's Cameras (the retailer from whom I purchased the faulty Optek battery) initially replaced it with another Optek, which caused the same problems, and subsequently exchanged it for a Canon battery. Kudos to Henry's Cameras!

Cheers! Jay

Try working the hockey stick on/off lever a few times in case there is a a dirty contact there. Does it feel as

if it is OK ? i.e. not too stiff or 'gritty' like as if it has some dirt in it. If it feels OK then as others

have said 'it's a malfunction' and should be fixable under warranty.

Had the exact same problem about 2 months back. It was just dead, dead. Next morning, came on just fine. But

we kept having intermittent dead camera. Sent it back to New Jersey repair. Got it back, a couple of days later,

happened again. Turns out my wife was removing the CF card without turning the power off. For some reason, this

was causing the problem. Once she stopped doing that, no longer a problem.

Just a thought.