First Shots with Off Camera Strobes

egoldstein

For my Wife's Aunt's 80th birthday I was asked to take the pictures and used the opportunity to experiment with off

camera set up for the first time. Using my D80 and 2 400 w/s (i think) strobes triggered optically by my SB600.

One strobe set to 1/2 power the other to 1/4 power into silver umbrellas and metered to about f.8. Rental equipment

is wonderful.

How did I do?<div>00Q65i-55209784.jpg.9a2f8db011629c64390cba6362cf3e48.jpg</div>

Photo 1 looks underexposed, and the lighting flat. It looks like you set the lights 45^ to the subject, one on the left and one of the right... and your hotshoe would be fill? Little modeling, or none, from the lights effect the gentleman. The woman has a harder fall off to shadow, which means your key light was placed to far from her (or was too small).

Photo 2 looks like the same set up, and the guys act like flags for you female subject and (accidentally) give her the best lighting =) The guy on the right of frame has really hard split lighting going on. All of them have their dark clothing underexposed.

You need to put the fill light on axis with the camera so it can fill the shadows created by your 45deg off axis key light.

The 2nd photo clearly shows the lack of fill, because the guys block the light to the woman.

Check out the tutorials here http://super.nova.org/DPR/

He makes this kind of shot easy to get right every time.

<Chas>

I like the first frame Eric. Lighting practice aside, you caught the moment...a lovely pic. A bit of playing with the exposure will give a nice print. F8 was a good choice.

The shadows in the second made it a bit messy.<div>00Q6eC-55399584.jpg.eaafe4b197e487107482c474b96f7834.jpg</div>