Where to buy a Nikon D300 on my trip to US?

chicodovale

I am going this month to travel to US (Minneapolis, Wooster-OH, and Tallahassee-Florida) and I want to buy a Nikon

D300 with a Nikon lens 105mm macro F2.8. My doubt is: Do I ask a friend of mine to buy it at the B&H, for cheaper

prices, or is there special places at those cities where I can get the camera and lens at the almost same prices as

in B&H? Thanks for help. Chico do Vale.

If your friend makes the "buy" at B&H, sales tax must be collected. If you can have your friend order one for delivery in Minnesota or Ohio, then shipping is added, but no sales tax is paid.

There are two versions of the 105mm Micro-Nikkor lenses, one is no VR and one is with VR. You might want to check inventory at one or two stores (via the Internet) to find which one is available.

I am considering the possibility of I will be ordering from Brazil and ask for delivering in Ohio at my friend�s address. This will include the shipping and not the tax as Gerald said. Concerning the warranty I think there is no problem. I will check the versions of the lens. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Shipping is half the cost from B&H as compared to any other company I have dealt with and they are easy to deal with if you get a camera that is defective and need to return it to them. If your friend is a photographer they could check order and receive and verify the camera works properly before you arrive.

Suggest having your friend purchase and register the camera in their name so you get the USA warranty. You will then have the option during the first year of shipping the camera to Nikon for warranty work in the states and having them ship it directly back to your friend at your address in Brazil.

• 2 weeks later...

You might try Campus Camera on E. Main in Kent, Ohio, about an hour from Wooster. The tax should not apply as the camera will be taken out of state and the Country. Ask for Danny, I think the email is CampusCamera@yahoo.com, He will be competitive in price as well, but check for availibility.

If so inclined you can drive another hour to see the Rock Hall of Fame and have dinner at the House of Blues.