Whats the easiest way into affordable medium format??

brian_mcmillan1

I'm really interested in medium format film shooting. I've been looking around at different cameras and gear for

a while now, I need some help getting in.

Currently I have a DSLR and a 35mm SLR (somewhat "broken") I usually find that my DSLR gets the job done, but

sometimes I find there's something missing. I kinda like my 35mm slr but its in the shop with some issues, some

of which may never get resolved. I love the look and feel of film, and I'm thrilled to shoot some medium format.

I really dont want the holga thing. Its cool and all but I want something that could at least take some serious

photos. I was told that Yashica TLR's are a good place to start, however I am finding it difficult to find one

that is in acceptable shape for a reasonable price. I was also looking at Seagulls. I've heard that they are

kinda cheap, but for me cheaper and new is better than questionable condition and 60 years old. I've looked at

Seagull tlr photos on flickr and they seem to be pretty decent for a cheap camera.

I would like to shoot film and develop it in the lab and scan at home. (I've been shoping for a film scanner that

can do 35mm and 120 size film.) I only have the ability for a digital workflow until I live in a place with a

bunch more space.

So whats the easiest way into the MF club? Wait for a Yashica tlr that may be in acceptable shape or go with the

cheap but new Seagull? Or is there another option? $200 is kinda my limit for the camera, maybe a bit more if I

know that it will be reliable and work properly and is in decent shape.

Thanks for any advice!

Analog Guy in a Digital World

A TLR might be your best bet. I'd suggest shopping around a bit at places like KEH to see what they have, as well as other used camera shops that offer return service. I've bought a couple of TLRs over the years on ebay that have worked well except for the slower speeds, so if you go that route, keep in mind that the less useful slower speeds may not work. You could also likely pick up an M645 system for your price range if you shop around. This would allow you to have interchangeable lenses. Something to consider...

- Randy

What's your budget? Randell is right on with the Mamiya M645 suggestion, lots of great lens choices with that. If you decide you want bigger even the Mamiya RB or RZ67 would be great. Low prices and quality stuff, I'm considering selling my M645, don't use it much since I got into the RZ. One thing to consider is that these are "system" cameras. You have to buy more than a body and a lens. You will need to get a viewfinder and film back. When you decide which just ask and someone will point you in the right direction.

The Pentax 645 system is a complete system, in that the viewfinder, motor drive, and metering are all built in,

and they usually come with at least one film back. If you get the 645n or 645nII, you also get autofocus

capabilities. The AF models can use the older cheaper MF lenses, but will add a beep and/or LED confirmation for

focus, which is kinda cool.

<p>

I think the downsides to the Pentax 645 system are that the backs are not removable mid-roll without rewinding

the film, and there's only a couple of leaf shutter lenses for them. The normal lenses (non leaf shutter) limit

you to 1/60 sec flash sync.

<p>

I chose the 645n for myself. It was substantially cheaper than the 645n2, and I didn't need any of the extra

features added to the 645n2. (see <a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/645-mlu.shtml">

this page </a> regarding the mirror lockup)

<p>

A couple of reviews, if it sounds interesting: <a

href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/645nii.shtml"> one </a> and <a

href="http://recphoto.blogspot.com/2007/06/pentax-645-review.html"> two </a>

In any case, they are a lot more like your 35mm than TLRs or other medium format rigs that make you meter separately.

<p>

Nothing wrong with the other brands, though. Just that Pentax tends to not get mentioned as frequently, so I

feel it gets overlooked by many who might find it to be the perfect solution.

-Kelly

yashica TLRs are great cameras.I've found 10 in 6x6 and 4x4 formats. The Mamiya TLRs are also great. Can change lenses with those. The Mamiya 645 also good.

The Mamiya Universals are good. It's a rangefinder, but, it's easy to hold and mine has a groundglass focusing hood as an option.It's an overlooked camera, but, those who have one seem to liked them very much.Also, can take a 6x9 neg. One thing about alot of the older TLRs, using the self timer is a great way to get a jam.

I've looked at the Mamiya 645. They seem to be great cameras, but not really in my price range. I know $200 isn't alot, and I dont want to waste it. If I cant really get something decent I'd just put my $200 towards my existing systems. Maybe a Pentax 645 or something similar. I like the idea of an SLR, but a TLR would be fairly interesting.

I would avoid the Seagull. It's a cheap camera of poor construction and in your price range you can quite easily get on board with some VERY nice cameras. You should be able to find M645 setups for around $200. The later 645 AF models are much more expensive, as are all the pieces and parts. Lenses are dirt cheap.

Mamiya TLR's are great cameras and $200 would get you one with a lens or two. There are also a SLEW of older German TLR's that are not Rolleiflex's that get the job done.

Ciro-Flex, with a Rapax (not Alphax) shutter. It has no amenities at all, you count frames with a red window in the back and cock the shutter manually before taking the picture. But it has a good lens and shutter, there is almost no mechanical stuff in it to get out of order, and you can get one for 30 dollars. It's no Rollei, but it's no Holga either, they were used by pros in the early postwar years.

If you can stretch just a little, I would check out Adorama's used department. They've got a bunch of Mamiya 645 outfits for in the $250-$300

range. I know That's more than you want to spend initially. However, when I was looking at TLR's vs. SLR's, what won me over was how

many lenses and accessories were available for the 645s over the TLRs. In my mind, it's worth spending just a little extra now to get into a

camera that you're not likely to outgrow anytime soon.

I'm looking online now at an "M645 value pack" which includes an 80MM lens, Prism finder (probably metered) and 120 back etc for $259.00.

It's similar to the one I have, and it's still my favorite camera to use (though I paid close to $500 for this about 1 1/2 years ago...dang it ;).

At any rate, a wide variety of lenses can be had easily and reasonably priced, usually in good condition, so when your credit card gets

restless down the road, you'll be able to add onto it later without too much hunting.

BTW, Holgas are only $20. C'mon...you know you wanna! All the cool kids are doing it!

I would suggest you get the TYPE of camera you want, rather than what might seem like a good deal. For example, a TLR is

a wonderful camera for a lot of people, but working the way it forces you to might turn you off, and that would be neither a

bargain, nor a representative medium format experience.

I would check KEH for pricing guidelines, find the system you want, and then try ebay and craigslist to find a bargain, if you

can be a little patient. And, while you're looking, you might find a bit more money to devote to the cause.

I, also, would avoid the Seagulls. I've seen nice results from Yashica 124g TLRs, and they have the benefit of a built-in

meter. But, look, also, at Mamiya 645, and Bronica 6x4.5 and 6x6 cameras.

I bought a 645 Zenza Bronica ETR-Si for AU$209 on the 'bay, complete with 120 back, non-metred prism, and 75/2.8 lens.

That said though, there are some questions to ask:

Do you want to shoot 6x4.5, 6x6, or 6x7 cm?

Do you want a TLR or SLR?

How much are you likely to want to grow your system?

What is your budget, both now and in the future?

Those will dictate greatly what system you might want to go for. Hasselblad offer the flexibility of 645 or 6x6, and a wide and still-growing system to suit future needs. They are, however, pricey.

If you still prefer SLRs, both Bronica and Mamiya offer 645 systems that are quite cheap and still easy to come across. Bronica also offer 6x6 with their SQ series.

Brian - The only dedicated film scanner I know of for 35mm and medium format is the Nikon Coolpix 9000, which is $2K+. You can get pretty good results on medium format from a specialized flatbed such as the Epson v700 (around $500) but not so good from 35mm. If your budget for the scanner will be as limited as for the camera, I wonder whether you might not be better off rethinking (forgetting?) the whole idea.

My $.02 worth - you haven't told us what you want to use the MF camera for, so it's a little hard to recommend a particular type of camera. If you are planning to scan your negs, then you will want the best affordable resolution for your negs.

I like TLRs (I started w/ a Yashica Mat-124G) but it is a difficult transition from a DSLR to a TLR camera. They are great learning cameras, because you simply can't do anything quickly. But IMHO they are too "funky" for most folks to consider for use on a regular basis.

I will second (or third) the suggestion for a good, basic MF SLR. There are some fantastic deals right now. As has been already discussd, the Mamiya 645 is a good option, as is the Bronica ETR-S.

I would suggest that you also take a look at the Bronica SQ system. Very good picture quality, very good build quality, very cheap. eBay is okay, but I have been seing the best deals on craigslist - I have sen several SQ, SQ-A and SQ-B kits (body, 80 mm lens & 120 back) for under $200. KEH is another good way to go if you want more reassurance. 6x6 is nice because you don't have camera rotation issues, and you can always print square.

Good luck!

You can definitely get a usable Mamiya M645 system for $200 from KEH.com. At KEH, it is quite safe to buy "bargain" condition, which most other places would call "very good" or "excellent". Currently they have the following, which I would recommend: Mamiya M645 1000s camera body with 120 insert, bargain condition, $89; Mamiya 80mm f/2.8 N lens, like-new-minus condition, $45; CDS Prism for the 1000s, meter inoperative, bargain condition, $23; deluxe L-grip holder for left (1000s), bargain, $11. Now you have a medium format SLR that can either act like a big 35mm, or operate happily on a tripod, for $168. If you really need a working meter, you can substitute the same prism but with a working meter for $76 instead of $23, and your whole system price is still only $221.

And more lenses later will be inexpensive too. To shoot landscapes, get a 45mm f/2.8 in bargain condition for $172. To shoot head-and-shoulders portraits, get a 150mm f/3.5 N in bargain condition for $59. To shoot head shots, get a 210mm f/4 in bargain condition for $69.

I highly recommend the Yashicamat 124G. You can find them routinely on ebay for about $300 mint, and usually for less. I traded an 8mm movie camera for mine. The next step up is the Mamiya C series, preferably a C330, with interchangeable lenses. You can probably find one of these with 80mm lens for about the same price. In fact, if you can get it for the same price, skip the Yachicamat. I got mine for $75 only a year or so ago. If you want to go to 645 SLR, I prefer the Bronica over Mamiya 645 because Bronica has leaf shutter lenses that are more flexible for flash fill. Stay away from Seagull -- it's a cheap copy of the Yachicamat (which of course is a low-cost but not "cheap" imitation of the Rolleiflex.)