Is a 4490 to V700 a worthwhile upgrade?

connor_roelke

Scanning mostly 2 1/4 and sometimes 35mm, is it worth the $300 or so? I have the option to sell the 4490 for $15

less than I bought it, so now would be the time to upgrade if I wanted to. I don't have the budget for a Nikon

9000 or anything. My budget is around $500.

Thanks.

I have a 4870. What I've seen at Photo-i site, there's not much difference between my scanner and the V series. All

Epson Perfection scanners since de 2400 are terrific buys. I've once scanned from this scanner to print a 24X24" from a

Provia 6X6 transparency. According to many pros, the print looked better than "very acceptable". Usually Epson

scanners are free of issues, terrific color from slides without any profiling, not so with Nikon. Imacon is expensive. The

trend is towards digital capture. It doesn't make much sense anymore to spend megabucks for a scanner. My advice is

if you have the money or you absolutely need the best quality, buy an Imacon. If you can do it with 95% that quality,

buy a Nikon. If you can do it with 90% the quality, stick to your scanner or buy a V700. If tomorrow I'd decide to produce

a body of work from medium format film camera, I'd sell my 4870 and would buy a V700 and a wet mount plate, either

from Scanscience or Betterscanning.<div>00QSNn-63097584.jpg.b78763aac87549b48dff6f391599c509.jpg</div>