Film to use in Zeiss Icarette 4x6.5cm with 75 4.5 tessar

Could anyone tell me if the Zeiss Icarette 4x6.5cm with 75 4.5 tessar uses standard 120 roll film? I can't seem to

determine if it does or not. I read on one place online it uses 127 film. On another site it said that it uses 6x6 (120)

roll film and also 4X6.5 plates, Any information provided would be greatly appreciated, Thanks,

The Icarettes use 120 film. The standard model is 6x9 and has a 105mm lens. The 6x6 model has the 75mm lens. The 4x6.5 format was for 127 roll film started by Kodak for the Vest Pocket cameras. I am not aware of any 4x6.5 glass plates ever being made, only 4.5x6 glass plates, which were the smallest readily available plates in their day.

Thanks all for your prompt responses. I really appreciate it.

I saw one online for sale, but with no picture or idea whether it's a 6x6 model or pocket model, I'll have to e-mail to verify exactly what format it is. I'd like to avoid having to cut down 120 film reels or search online for 127 film. It seems that with the description I read it could go either way: 6x6 (120) or 127 since I don't know about the film gate. I saw this camera and thought it would be a lightweight medium format travel addition to my digital so I could shoot some b/w. The format intrigued me, 4x6.5, and with a 75mm lens would be wide-ish and great for landscapes. Unless I'm miscalculating, but I have a Pentax 67 and this format would be shorter on the 6 side and almost as long on the 7 side. A 75mm on 67 would be about 38mm on 35 mm format. I'm sure the lens would not be ultrasharp or multi-coated, but it would have a look I'd like to explore, Once again, thanks to all of you for your help and information.

Alex

Alex,

75mm is normal focal length for this format.... nothing wide about it. Solve for the hypotenuse of the film format to get the normal focal length... the diagonal for 40 x 65 is 76.3mm. Most folding cameras had fixed lenses with normal focal length lenses... I don't even think I have ever heard of a wide-angle folding camera.

I don't think he was saying that it was a wide angle lens, he was refering to the aspect ratio of the film / print, which when shot horizontal does look rather wide.

The Icarette was a folding bed camera and had a focus scale like all folding bed cameras did. The front standard would slide out to an infinity stop then adjustments were made from there on the focus scale. However other lens atachments were made for wide angle and telephoto for this type of camera that could be adjusted. The higher end Vest Pocket models like the Kodak Series III and the Goerz, both had fine focus adjustments on the rail and can accomodate other lenses. They were small but "Real" cameras, that were very versitile and capable of high quality photos.

I would be very careful of a camera that they don't post a picture of, however. Even the ones that look good in pictures, usually need a lot of work.<div>00Q3ir-54205684.jpg.f9812319dcd6226b30db5c298d7df26b.jpg</div>

Cliff and Patrick thanks for the responses. I've been looking around online and I believe I'll purchase a camera that has been CLA'D and/or repaired from one of the gentlemen recommended in this forum. I'm not all that handy and can't replace bellows if necessary or take apart glass elements and operate a sonic cleaner. So why pay $59.00 for a bargain grade camera that might not work and will most likely need a CLA? I'm looking into a Zeiss 6x9 folder with a novar lens. I don't want to spend the extra money right now for a tessar. Thanks again all for your help and advice.

Alex