Got To Shoot D700 Today

stillbound

Not art obviously but I did get to shoot what looks to be an amazing camera - a camera that barring an amazing

counter by canon will I think be enough to get me to dump my L glass...

It feels just like a D300 - nothing new in feel and due to the fact that CS3 can't open the raw files I'm really

glad that i shot raw plus fine jpeg...

in any event..here is the first one i shot - 2.8 @ 70MM with Nikon 24-70

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes - i've had the latest and greatest every month...My 1D mark II is brand new as is all my glass...

As someone that makes most of my income shooting - yes I have to have the best tool just as any other person that uses tools for a living does.

I only put these up to show some pics out of the camera, not to start the same old "just shoot - it's all about the photographer, not the tools" debate...

but as always thanks for your time

Joseph, the 3D aspect of the 1st photo was impressive. One of my criticisms of digital photos has been that the depth of field is so great that many photos appear to be flat and two dimensional. I am glad that I didn't jump on the D300 band wagon.

The ISO 3200 image looks unbelievably clean!

I am a 5D user too and am seriously contemplating jumping ship if D700 turns out what it is expected to be and if Canon does not follow-up with comparably featured replacement. I am tired of buying accessories for features which come built into Nikon bodies.

Kerry,

The extra DOF on the small sensor is only the equivalent of just over one stop which is not all that great is it?

Wouldn't that portrait look much the same if taken on a DX camera with a 50 mm lens at f/1.8 (apart from noise of course)?

Anyone with both sets of kit care to do the experiment?

Although the D700 looks very good and that I always wanted FF, I will enjoy my couple months old D300 till the next update of D700 and put some wear to it.. For now, as an amateur, I dont see the benefit of spending $ 3000 for the same resolution and plus for the more expensive FX f2.8 zooms.. My D300 is serving me fine and I need to improve my photo skills first than my camera gear. Next update will have higher pixels ( 15-18 mb is enough for me ), better dynamic range and better specifications which than I can hold to that camera for long years.

Im more interested in the SB-900 speedlight which looks very nice.

Elliot,

Yes, but is it more than about 1.2 stops for a lens with the same angle of view?

Say, D300 at 46 mm and f/2.8. 5D at 70 mm and f/4.5?

I think that Bob Atkins comes to the same conclusion as me:

http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/dofdigital/

....... but it's a mighty long article and he uses Canon small sensor which is a little smaller than Nikon.

Go on Elliot I think your comparative tests are great. I thought your D40, D80, D200 test was particularly good!

Bob Atkins did reach the same conclusion about DOF.

In the above URL there is a question, and Bob's reply is::

"<Losing the ability to isolate your subject from the background in-camera, is something I choose not to live

with.....>

You don't really have to, the effect isn't huge for DLSRs (though it can be huge for consumer digicams with

really small sensors). The DOF of an EOS 10D is about the same as the DOF on a 35mm full frame camera stopped if

you open up an extra stop and a third.

So for example to get about the same depth of field as a 50mm lens on a full frame camera at f2.8 a 31.25mm lens

on a 10D needs to be opened up to f1.8.

Distant background blur is proportional to format size (assuming equal size prints). So a 10D image will have

1.6x less far distant background blur than a 35mm full frame camera when using equivalent lenses at the same

aperture. Again not a huge factor for an EOS 10D, but a significant factor for a digicam with a sensor 4x smaller

than full frame 35mm. As before, if the EOS 10D lens is opened up by a stop and a third, background blur will

equal that of a full frame image.

In practice it's pretty easy to use selective focus with a 10D and blurring the distant backgound is also quite

possible with the right lens."

The number 1.6 comes up because that is the "crop factor" for a Canon small sensor. For Nikon it's more like 1.52

so the extra DOF for Nikon is a little less for Nikon than Canon and it gets a shade easier to blur the background.