What point to upload photo here?

Idea was that some professionals will give you advice on your photo how to make it better and you will learn from this

advice.

But what we see here?

Some ppl coming and giving rating to your photo just because you rated their photo

And their rating is usually looks like returning credit for numbers you gave them.

And some ppl just because some one else(not you) rate their photo with lower number they expected, they will go

and rate every pix else with low rating.

For almost 2 years here I got may be 7 advices that shortly explained what wrong with my photo

Usually it just numbers that have no meaning.

Tell me what meaning have numbers of rating 6/6 from 12 different person and

3/3 from some other, and no one explaining why they giving low rating?

Rating below 4 must be forced to give comments why this rating was given

And comments similar like � I don�t like it shouldn�t be acceptable.

Any way sorry fro my bad English couldn�t stand it any more

And every one from my surrounding thinks that I�m the iron men

Looks like there are wrong

<i>Idea was that some professionals will give you advice on your photo how to make it better and you will learn

from this advice. </i><p>Your opening statement raises the question of where exactly you have found this

'idea'?<br>It prompted me to have yet another look at the <a href="http://www.photo.net/info/about-us"> About Us page

</a> only to find that such a <i>mission statement</i> does not exist.<p>However, I would be the first to agree

with you, that the photo.net 'educational system' is far from perfect.<br>With regards to your body of work

already on this site, have you considered that it might be of such quality, that there are not that many who can

give you suggestions for improvement?<p>Have you approached any of the other members directly for advice, or

critique. No harm in asking...

Your volatile rebuke on a recent post turns off a lot of people.

ie:a quote from your recent picture

Is here on this site some mentally sick person, or may be more then one? ... I have to reload same photo so many time until this poor sick person go for his regular testing in his/her mental institution

who would waste their time critiquing that? your poor english is no excuse for your horrible manners. I hope this translates well.

One comment I'd like to make. As a beginner/amateur, I would appreciate it so much if those posting their photos

in the critique forum could include their equipment, i.e. camera, lens, filters. It would be so educational for

us newbies!

Just my two cents.

Thanks!

-Maija

Do you shoot for yourself or for a rating from a group of people you will never meet. Anatoli Dubkov if you are posting any

reason than to share your inner vision of the world and get simple feed on how your images might be improved you will

never be happy. Frankly I am amazed emotional people get over meaningless ratings. What matters the most is the

satisfaction you get from releasing the shutter and sharing your work.

Ruud.

You are a newbie here, so, allow me to tell you that your "case" looks completely different from this one. And from the few photos you rated high so far, but mostly according to your comments, it seems its going to remain different, I guess. So, its simple. Try not to mix up different things. My 0.002

Perhaps the point of contributing to PN is to teach us humility. An image that one considers to be excellent produces a harvest of 3/3s or 4/4s.

Or, the point of contributing here is to participate in the photographic community. The emphasis being participate. You say you are looking for critiques and advice. But it's a two way street, you also need to contribute in that manner as well. Looking at your profile you have rated 2967 photos, but made only 49 comments and 26 of those are on your own work. The critiques you have made seem to be; "Just WOW", "Just great". It strikes me that you are looking for other people to do for you, what you can't be bothered to do for them.

My point being it's a community, you have to contribute to receive.

My 2p.

P

"Do you shoot for yourself or for a rating from a group of people you will never meet."

I think that this responce is typical of those who simply don't get it. It's the main reason some people remain non-payers, and the most frequent ctiticism.

The Pros here at PN, couldn't care less what people think. Look at most portfolios and you'll find that most have never submitted a photo here. They aren't seeking our help.

Those who do post photos should want information, I do. Bad/Good, 3/6, Thumbs up/down ... caters to the least useful data one can provide. But, providing real data takes an investment ... that most here aren't willing to make. It doesn't suprise me, what's "in it" for them.

So, in the end, PN is a place where you post a photo ... and other stuggling photographers will occassionally give information ... and eventually, it's mostly those who you took time to critique who will critique you.

I don't know if that's in PN Mission Statement, but it is reality.

Anatoli, you say: "Rating below 4 must be forced to give comments why this rating was given And comments similar like I don't like it shouldn't be acceptable". How come just ratings below 4 should be mandatory? Why shouldn't people who give a high rating have to explain why? Explain what was so good about the photo that they wanted to give it a high number.

<br>And if comments similar to "I don't like it" shouldn't be accepted, then comments like "I like it" or "Great shot!" shouldn't be accepted either. They're not more helpful than "I don't like it".

<br>It seems to me that you're fine with ratings and not so helpful comments just as long as they're positive...

On returning credit.

I think that like style people (say birders) look more for birds photos and kind of form a group. This may be because they know the difficulty, labor and time invested in this type of photography more than other styles so they appreciate it more. They have lived it more than others.

Experts will, but ametures won't understand the other styles untill they go through them. Till that its just theory they know, and I think thats not enough to rate the photos correctly. For me in such cases, I do put comments on the one I like as a photo lover and good photos will appeal to everyone, or almost everyone.

Photo.net is a community, and you get out of it what you put into it. Photo.net is not here for the sole purpose of professionals (or others) to tell you how to improve your photos. Yes, Photo.net is a learning site, but for there to be learning, the student must be an actively engaged participant.

In the 17 months that you have been here, you have made *1162* requests for critique. That's approximately 68 per month, or more than 2 submissions for EVERY SINGLE DAY that you have been a member. In the same time period you have offered only 23 [insert praise here] - 7/7 "critiques" on the work of other photographers. That's less than 2 per MONTH. You have made only one forum post it all that time - this one - griping about lack of participation by *others*.

To be blunt, I see a lot of taking, and no giving back.

And your reply to someone who took the time to VOLUNTARILY comment on your photo here (http://www.photo.net/photo/7489977) doesn't exactly encourage anyone else to offer suggestions to help you improve. And your rant here (http://www.photo.net/photo/7489984) seals the deal for me.

The sense of entitlement that some "participants" on this site have is absolutely amazing!

That would be an excessive constraint for many participants. There are occasionally reports from some viewers that they have seen every photo uploaded for ratings and critiques on a given day, at least within a particular genre or category. For some photo.net participants the photo ratings and critique system is the primary attraction. Limiting them excessively would discourage participation rather than encourage higher quality submissions.

However it would be reasonable to place some limits on submissions, with lower submission limits for non-subscribers than for subscribers. This has been discussed by administration. Adopting a policy that is a reasonable and fair compromise for all concerned is not easy.

While constructive input is welcomed, keep in mind that over the years this issue has been discussed many, many times and almost every conceivable compromise and solution has been considered and, in some cases, tried with varying degrees of success and failure.