External Flash for D300

nikolo5

Good time everyone !

Could you advise an external flash for D300 which I have ?

I'm thinking about Nikon SB800 or Metz 54xx currently.

I did use a flash NOT extensively in the past (Canon) , and now just got from the specs, that Nikon provide wider

angle (14mm) with its SB800 unit, whereas Metz just 20mm. No idea about other differences, I mean in the real use.

What is this flash for? Well for a wide range of applications, cannot be certain. Not just for portraits or

interiors, but probably mostly for them...

Any suggestions or links will be appreciated! Thank you!

NB.

Nick, take heed when stating facts. Once someone reads something on the internet, it's taken for gospel.

The SB-800 covers 24 to 105mm in 35mm format -

14mm is with the wide angle adapter only and will sacrifice reach.

Nevertheless, the SB-800 is what most will recommend and trust us when we say that this is what you should purchase.

The new SB-900 will cover 17mm. I need this for interior work but many will not. Is there a reason you're that concerned

about the wide coverage? If it is a crucial point, then i say get the tool that you need.

Get SB-900. It has auto Zoom all the way to 200 mm lens, and auto adjusts the light beam angle to the DX camera format, or to FX format if you will ever get it in the future. It provides a bit faster recycle times with 4 batteries, alsmost as fast as SB-800 with 5th battery.

Nikon rates flash Guide Numbers at 35 mm lens angle coverage on film cameras, while Metz rates at 105 mm beam angle giving false impresion of much stronger flash. So, always compare Guide Numbers at the same beam angle of covarage, and you could get surprised ?

Metz had compatibility problems with D300 with some flash models ( I do not remember which model), but that could have been already fixed by now? Just make sure that Metz flash is Nikon iTTL compatible and also fully NIkon CLS compatible. Make sure CLS all faetures are available with your flash and D300 - regardless if you will need it or not I would not recommend Metz, and see no definite advantage for D300 over SB900/ SB800, but possible headache?

Most likely you will hit SB-600 limitations on the first day you try the flash. Saying "unless you need specific features" - how do you know what feature you will need in the future ? For what you say: "for a wide range of applications" you should not settle for SB-600.