Woooowwwsssseeerrr!

alexander_c1

I have spent the past month reading online and magazine photography articles in reference to Canon DSLRs. I must

say how overwhelming all of this is. I was the proud owner of a Rebel (film SLR) back in 1999. Unfortunately, it was

stolen on a vacation I took in 2002. So, for the longest time I had been wanting a DSLR. I became serious about a

month ago and that is when I started to notice so many debates on which is better the 40D or the new Rebel XSI.

Instinct told me well...you owned a Rebel why not go for this new XSI model. It was no easy choice but I chose the

40D and quite honestly you are not going to believe why I chose it. All here will probably laugh at me - I chose the

40D because of how it felt on my hands. The XSI is super light and next to the 40D it looks like a TOY camera. I am

an amateur photographer that just LOVES to take pictures. I go to a lot of beach destinations and also enjoy nature

and portrait photography. After reading and reading (and boy did I read) aside of how the 40D felt on my hands I

noticed that the feautes of the camera cater to a more "pro" audience and that is where I aspire to be some day.

So thank you all for all the reviews I have read on this site. They were truly helpful. I get my camera in the mail

tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. And, this site has won yet another member who will be contributing on a

regular basis.

I was a Rebel G user and went to the Rebel-D, and the XTI, now 40d, and I can understand the part about feeling better in your hands. I just feels a lot better. My old XTI is a backpack/backup camaera now, when I do take it out I feel like Its a toy.

Enjoy your new purchase

You are not alone. That is the same reason why I bought the 40D. I spent a lot of time with each camera (at that time the XTi and 40D). Rented both for a week.Ultimately it was the ergonomics that sold me on the 40D.

Although the other features will be nice as I find my artistic niche.

There are many good reasons to choose a 40D. The way it feels in your hands is one of the best! I teach photography classes and when people ask for my recommendations for a new camera I always advise them to actually hold the candidates in their hands to get a sense of how comfortable and secure they are.

Good luck with your new camera.

Joe

Taking good pictures is about self confidence. Anything (within reason...) that raises your self confidence should be done. The way something feels, whether it's the wheel of a car or the body of a camera has significant impact on the way you use it. So another vote for the "nope we're not laughing at you cause you're right" opinion.

Back in the 1980's I used to sell cameras in between college breaks and summer. Once we established the basic features the customer wanted I would place two or three cameras in front of them and tell them to pick out the one that feels the best to them. Hands down the customers were more satisfied when they bought a camera that felt "right" to them. Others that went by price often came back to swap cameras.