Settings

blades

Hi Guys....

Off to Europe Saturday morning, just wanting to ask a couple of possible settings for Night Photography on my D80,

using 18-135 and the 50mm 1.8 also want to be doing some street shots in cafe etc probably low light im thinking, i

understand this is an open question as such, just wanting rough guides from the experts...which you all are

compared to me....Thanks in advance..keep smiling

mark

Use the highest ISO you're comfortable with, in terms of noise. Don't know what software you're using for post-

production, if you shoot RAW vs.straight to JPG, etc. Let's say ISO800. At night, you'll want to use that 50/1.8. Use

aperture priority mode, and use the lens pretty far open.. say, f/1.8 up to maybe 2.8. That will get you the highest

shutter speed to help prevent motion-blurred shots when you're not using a flash. The good news is you can practice

this stuff right now, in a dim room at home!

when i used my D80 for lots of nighttime photography, i really enjoyed the MC-DC1 remote shutter release. for long exposures of night scenes using a tripod, it works really well. it's not at all expensive, and it adds almost zero weight to your bag. with or without the remote, if you do try some long exposures, then you're not limited to the 50mm either. it's something to consider...

Exposure settings will depend upon whether you are hand holding your camera or using a tripod. If hand holding, you should know from experience what focal length lenses you can hold steadily at what shutter speeds.

Hand holding, shooting at night or in dim light, I would choose an appropriate shutter speed in S Mode, set ISO to Auto and allow the meter to choose the aperture. If your subject doesn't fill the frame, choose Central Area or Spot metering. At night using Matrix metering, there can be extraneous specular highlights or hot spots in a scene which can adversely affect the correct exposure of your subject.

Using a tripod or table top tripod, you can use P, A, S, or M. or one of the Vari Programs if you like. Its up to you. If you prefer to have more depth of field choose a small aperture in A mode. If you need to slow or stop action of moving subjects, you'll have to use a fast shutter speed. Then choose S mode. You have more control with a tripod. I would still suggest Auto ISO. Metering considerations are the same, however, concerning extraneous hot spots. The question you ask is not a simple one to answer, Mark. Every situation you encounter will require a different set of decisions. If you drink too much wine, just use one of the night-time vari programs and hope for the best. ;-)

Bon Voyage, Mark, and have a safe trip.