What do you do while the guests are eating dinner?

taylor_kyle

Just curious to what the general population is doing while the guests eat.

I've been thinking of taking the time to create a little slideshow from images I've taken that day, and throwing

it up on a locked up laptop.

But what do you do during that time?

Eat, download images from the day and setup a slideshow of the best ones on my laptop. Most people don't want to be photographed eating. I also ask clients to ensure that I get fed without having to stand in line behind 100 guests, so I can get back to work quickly. They always comply with that!

Do what we are hired to do...work a job.

Not our celebration, there are other times to eat. We are hired to do a job and our job runs through the reception.

I know there are opposing views on this and that's ok with me; i just can't and do not agree with it at all.

This is THE BEST time to do scene setters, capture table details (while guests are in line) before they get destroyed. Some of the most magical moments happens during this time and i couldn't imagine sitting down like a treated guest and partaking in their prepared meal.

During this time, we are usually seen with our tripods capturing unique interior and exterior compositions that are almost always part of the WOW shots i end up with. We also do wides of each table groups. It's a quick way to capture all guests that were invited that more than likely the B&G will not remember otherwise. We eat before we begin (sometimes earliy morning), when we drive from here to there (afternoon), and/or upon completion (usually midnight).

If it's been one of my full-day weddings, I eat. Nobody wants photos of people eating, and I eat when that's the only thing going on. It's not in my contract that I be fed, but the B&G know that I've spent all day long with them and they or one of the parents always insists on it without my having to say anything. I always get table details before the eating starts and often have them done before the B&G even arrive at the reception. There's almost always a chance for me to do table group shots before eating starts as well.

Table shots with a bunch of plates of half eaten food are the ugliest things ever! We get them if requested and

as I'm sure most photographers will do...we try to minimize the "messy" look and close in on candids of the

couple interacting. Regardless...we need to take a quick 20 minute break to eat as is common with any other 8

hour workday at any job and this is done while the bride & groom and guests are eating dinner. We've never had to

have it in our contract, our clients always urge us to have dinner. As mentioned above, people do not like to be

photographed eating. We have usually already gotten table detail shots during cocktail hour because once guests

sit at the tables, the tables are usually no longer *shot worthy* with glasses and napkins scattered about.

Sometimes, we are able to put together a little slideshow of photos during the earlier part of the day to play on

the laptop as well.

Michael, I had to laugh, but you do have a strong point here. I'd still rather get a bite to eat myself! If it's the usual dried out chicken I'd rather pass on the food, but if it's steak, I'm eating! My contract says I shoot weddings for food!

Other things you can do besides table shots are photographing the couples rings on an invitation, the cake, shots with their champange glasses and artsy stuff like that.

More often than not, it's a sit down dinner and there isn't a line....also, at most banquet halls and country clubs there isn't a resturaunt nearby to catch a dinner, so, generally that's when I eat. But with my camera by my side and ready to get up for a cake cutting (typically after salad) and to shoot any spontaneous moments of jocularity/fun. At many downtown venues they seperate the "hired help" and we'll get box lunches or a sandwhich bar in a seperate room....don't you love fighting the boys in the band for your ham & cheese sandwhich?

When I get a chance, I'm happier sitting at the bar with a cheeseburger and fries. BTW,like Steve, when I get the chance I'm working on my laptop to put together a slideshow and will follow the B/G from table to table for group shots.

Not all weddings are buffet dinners. Guests don't want to be conscious of a photographer while eating in my humble opinion and as someone pointed out - the tables - if there is a buffet is filled with personal belongings and even purses that we'd have to touch to do detail shots. Sometimes the cake is out - sure we can shoot that but for how long? Sit down dinner? We better stay out of the way!

In any case... The band eats - We eat. We've been prepping, shooting, driving anywhere from 5 to 9 hours (depending on how far away) before we get a chance to eat. The bride will be happy if I eat and don't pass out from hunger ;-) I shoot better with a full tummy after all that shooting.

Please don't turn this into a "must behave a certain way" type of thread everyone!

(I've already had to edit rants)

Some photographers need to eat - other's don't.

It is in my contract. And I'm so bold as to require HOT food. Cold just goes down in a lump in my over active adrenaline self after go go going. I choose to eat. Not one person complains and they are all happy to feed me and my husband and my assistant. Mom's and brides and grooms and wedding party are always so considerate and come around us at some point asking us if we've eaten and if we need anything. I call that considerate. It is also because they love us so much ;-) They want us to be happy so we continue to be so much fun and not grumpy/hungry.

If others choose to pack some snacks. Cool. It's a choice. Plus it could be the type/location/region where you shoot. I've always been lucky. I love good wedding food. Once had lobster and steak ;-)

I personally don't eat other than the snack bars I bring, but that's at least 25% because I'm currently wearing braces (and no, unfortunately I am not 12 years old so it's not the most dignified of smiles I sport these days) and don't want chunks of the always-available chicken stuck in there. Oh - I don't charge a very high price so I have yet to have a sit-down dinner. All buffet so far for me.

However, what I do is put my 85 1.8 on one body, and a 50-150 2.8 on another. I basically walk the perimeter and snipe shots of people laughing, etc. I take maybe 20-30 shots in the 45 minutes of eating. Not many. But there are some real keepers that come out of that part.

We get asked at almost every wedding to eat. I agree, the clients and their families are almost always considerate. It's the right thing to do on their end after seeing the working pro hard at it all day. My argument is the consideration of the working pro. I think the considerate thing for the hired work to do is say " I appreciate that very much but i'm good to go", which is what i usually say because i almost always am. The respect that they have for you at that point is one of work ethics and the photos that you present to them during that time, which can be all of those mentioned above, they will thank you for them. Who says to capture stuff like half eaten plates? I'm sure you can time your group shots better than that and have more creativity during that time than these things.

This is my opinion. Those that choose to do differently, like Mary said, is their choice. I am just giving an alternate prospective.

I do whatever needs to be done first. Then if I have time and it is a long coverage and I'm hungry, I eat. Things to do can include table shots (if asked, plus sometimes I just get small groups of people sans plates, with or without their knowledge), cake alone shots, catch up shots, the romantic shots of the couple while guests are busy eating, detail shots of the room and/or decorations, and any candids that present themselves, such as the couple interacting with guests. I am fully prepared to not eat, if there is no time.

I'm with Michael 200% use that time, bring health abrs if you need to eat. I routinely shoot from straight thru from early am when bride awakes and starts her day thru til the guests pass out. If you stop to do something you WILL miss something and people will remember you weren't there for some special moment. Have assistants d/l images to slideshow, and better than a laptop is a projector that wifi's to the laptop, show em big during recpetion if your assistant is good at editing and fast enough.Using wifi transmitters on cameras to laptop will speed process. J

I eat and down a few shots at the bar with the dj (just kidding). I ask the bride or the coordinator to allow us to eat while the head table eats so we're done when they're done and ready to go. hate table shots and have never been asked to get them. I will try to snag shots of the rings with an invitation or flowers or other detail shots like that. Sometimes I'll ask the b/g if they want to get some photos while their guests finish up. With beach weddings, it's usually timed that dinner is right around sunset.

I see no reason not to eat. My creativitity severley suffers if I'm hungry. The dj eats and he works much less than I do. Even minimum wage workers get a lunch/dinner break, it's silly think that you have to be aiming your camera at something every minute. I do keep my eye on what's going on and will get photos of anything interesting, but there's usually not much happening.

That's just my perspective.

Sam

This is so interesting! I like Sam's idea of a few shots at the bar! William has a good thought about thinking what you may have missed. It's a good time to check your check list if you use them. Often the bride or the groom have special requests, such as college friends, out of town people, or even out of the country. Some of these photos are a must to get.

Yup - It is a time to go over the list - change the batteries, clean the lenses etc.. I really don't worry about missing shots when people are eating and chewing... And I usually only take 15 to 20 min. anyway. Some of us are not the everready bunny...and some are. Me? I'm old...well not really really old but I'm 53. Some people like me - need our batteries recharged as well as our cameras ;-)

I rarely eat much at a wedding but I do eat some things I've packed as the day goes along if needed.

I have always heard that taking photos of guests as they eat is not a good thing but I find it to be an occasion

to "connect" with the guests in a harmless manner. As the guests eat I will often go around and purposefully wait

for the full fork to rise to the lips then take a photo and laugh with all the guests about "the perfect shot".

I never save these shots but the purpose is to "connect" with the guests in a fun way at each table (if possible)

... we have a good laugh and they know the guy behind the camera is there to have a good time too. It's a great

deal of fun to watch some of the ladies avoid raising the fork when the camera is pointed their direction; at

times I'll drop the camera, then they will raise it to eat and I'll swing the camera around and shoot from the

hip to capture the shot. Most times people will laugh with enjoyment. Harmless fun!

When the bride and groom are done eating (and the long lines of hungry guests form) I usually have one or two

"creative" shots I've planned ahead of time and I whisk them (the bridal couple) away for about 15 minutes for a

few dynamic shots alone. This works well for them: they get those photographs that are somewhat creative and

dynamic while their guests eat and they get back to the guests in time to make a visit to many of the tables.

This works for me because I get lovely photos that meet my needs as a wedding photographer.

I will follow the bridal couple around the tables when I've replaced all my flash batteries and battery pack

batteries to be prepared for the upcoming reception "events".

If I have a second photographer then I generally send her/him ahead to capture detail shots prior to guests

getting things jumbled up (which is what they are supposed to do, lol).

Just like we all make sure are flash and camera batteries are fresh we need to keep our bodies fresh. Keeping snack bars

and water or something handy is smart. It is also smart to take 15 minutes to eat and rest a little. Eating in the car

somewhat raises your chance of wrecking.

Eat. No point in shots of tables when the napkins are on the chair, silver moved, and water glass sweating. I get detail shots before anyone is in the room. If plate dinners are served, sometimes I try to make my way into kitchen and get a shot of the bride and grooms first meal (only if the chef allows it and only if it looks good - and the kitchen is presentable). Depends on the venue and the presentation. I did this recently with a desert cake, before it was presented to the B&G for approval, and the chef was more than happy. Orchids and carrot shavings look nice on cheese cake. It just depends regarding picture of food. But, I always eat when working 8-10 hours with 1 hour plus travel time.