Canon 50 1.4 Gray Market OK ?

jon_kobeck1

I was going to buy the 50 1.4 (it seems so much better over the 1.8) and was looking at the gray market one (non usa) to save $20

Is that ok? I never bought gray market.

Also, I live in NY. Any place to order thats reliable outside on NY to save the tax?

You can't go wrong if you buy the import version from B&H or Adorama, the $20 you save will cover most of the sales

tax. In the unlikely event that you would need a warranty repair, you send it to them instead of Canon. Import or USA

the lens is identical. Over the years I've bought many imports from both these vendors and never had a problem.

More recently I've been buying Canon Refurbished from Adorama (90 day warranty) and have saved even more

money. I don't know of any other vendors who sell imports.

Imports are great and since you're @ NY - you should ONLY stick to reputed NY photo stores like B&H, Adorama, Willbourough, 47th. street, Beachcamera (NJ - Warren). However, some of them won't have import versions. Basically, in case of warranty issues you'll need to route the lens/camera through the shop and not deal directly with Canon. Not sure for others but B&H honors such requests. Ensure you ask - "In case of issues while under warranty, how and what I should be doing?".

the 50 1.4 seems to have more mechanical defects and problems than most other Canon lenses.

Consider paying $20 for the us warrantee. I would. I've already had mine repaired by Canon once for sticky focus ring.

Other than that, it's a great lens.

since you live in NY, i guess its no trouble for you to send them to B&H or Adorama should anything untoward happen to

your import lens. oh, i forgot. do get your gray lens from those two reputable suppliers and not others. gray lenses are really

fine, my 24-105mm is a gray import as well and it feels really awesome. only that its lens code is UV when i bought it a

month ago, whereas the 70-200mm which i bought at the same time (non gray) was UW. maybe the gray imports are the

older stocks in canon's inventory or something?