Nikon USA Officially Announces Two New Lenses and the SB-900 Speedlight Flash

summerleif

The Nikon USA web site now includes official announcements and information pages for two new Micro Nikkor lenses

and its new Nikon SB-900 Speedlight flash unit.

PC-E Micro NIKKOR 45mm f/2.8D ED

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2174/PC-E-Micro-NIKKOR-45mm-f/2.8D-ED.html

PC-E Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2175/PC-E-Micro-NIKKOR-85mm-f/2.8D.html

SB-900 AF Speedlight

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Flashes/4807/SB-900-AF-Speedlight.html

I see the lenses have:

"Auto-aperture control with electromagnetic diaphragm is possible with Nikon's D3, D700 and D300 D-SLRs."

This is new isn't it?

Presumably the lens stop down to preset aperture now no longer uses the "dead reckoning" system of the stop down

lever but is done internally like Canon. It should be more accurate.

Of course on a PC lens it's not possible to have a stop down lever but will we see this on other lenses too?

How about a G lens without stop down lever and only usable on D3/D300 and later bodies? Or can the firmware on

earlier DSLRs be upgraded? Does the system need extra CPU contacts?

Hmm. The specs on the SB-800 show guide number info as "38/125 (at 35mm) to 56/184 (at 105mm) (ISO 100,

m/ft.)" ... whereas the new SB-900 shows "34/111.5 (ISO 100, m/ft), 48/157.5 (ISO 200, m/ft)".

For a physically larger device, I guess I was expecting that would be at least as powerful as the SB-800. I know,

we're splitting hairs, here. But just sayin'

Well, there are some little things... like its ability to detect when you've got a tungsten or fluorescent correcting gel mounted, and its ability to tell the new bodies how to adjust WB accordingly. An optional hot-shoe foot cover for safer use in damp conditions. Firmware that you can update from a CF card mounted in the camera. All perfectly swell things, I suppose. And the DX thing DOES matter, because right now, by SB-800 is throwing away a lot of wide light when it sees, say, a 30mm lens on my DX-format body. So, for DX shooters, that right there will probably more than make up for the lower guide numbers.

I don't know. Still now radio control. I fire all my 10 Nikon flash units using Skyport radio triggers. Don't think the SB-900 is going to do anything for me. I'll use the money to buy another Alien Bees B1600 monolight.

Kent in SD

When the dust settles down... we will know.

"I guess I was expecting that would be at least as powerful as the SB-800."

The published Guide Number 34 for SB-900 was now upgraded to 40 on the Nikon USA web site, and angle of light coverage is now specified, to make the claim more accurate.

Perhaps SB-900 has about the same power ?, or a bit more than SB-800? That is 40 versus 38 ?

I wonder if the colored gel detection will only cause confusion when the unit is used with multiple flashes? Or does it only work on camera, not in wireless operation?

I like the concentrated light idea (200mm setting + hot spot shape) :-). Should be good for creating some effects from a distance.