2.8 Zoom Lens

pgavalis

I have recently 'upgraded' to the K20 and love it even more than the K10. I am ready to purchase a "professional"

zoom lens (only have the manual lenses right now). There are a few new ones out there and I am looking at any of

the 2.8's. I want to start with something at 50mm or higher since that fits most of my current needs. Should I go with

Pentax, Sigma or Tamron? Anybody have a chance to use all 3 and have a preference? Seems the DA* 50-135mm

makes the most sense but if I can save cash with the same results or if there are advantages to the other brands

then I am all for it! Any input will be appreciated. I know down the road I will be in for a 16-50 and a 77 but want to

make the zoom the first purchase. Thanks, Pete.

I have Sigma 24-60mmF2.8 and have ordered another Tamron 70-200mmF2.8 . I am essentially a prime lens shooter with Zenitar 16mm 2.8, FA28mm 2.8, F 50mm F1.7, FA100mm 2.8 Macro, FA135mm 2.8 , DA*200mmF2.8 & A* 300mm F4, If both zooms works out I may switch all the way to all zoom. Tamron has an issue and that is it is not availble at least until August if not next yr.

Sigma 24-60mmF2.8 is a decent zoom at 1/3 or price of a Pentax DA* zoom. With my prime lens around, it has not had major workout yet

Daniel, Toronto

Pete, your options also depend on what focal range you want. You can get f/2.8 zooms in the 16-50mm, 28-75mm, 50-135/150mm and 70-200mm ranges. Which one suits your immediate needs better? Also consider that a 70-200mm zoom is going to be bigger and heavier than a 50-135/150mm, so be sure to check out the weight/size specs too, and not just the price :-)

DPReview posted their thoughts concerning the already released for Eos mount 70-200mm 2.8 Tamron last week.

It got "recommended" yet its focus lock is inconsistent and slow. Bizarre. Buy this lens, we Recommend It

eventhough its slow and

inaccurate. ;^) But this was on an eos body, so maybe on pentax body it would work just fine? Its not supposed to

be SDM so it won't get anyboost from K20D SDM motor or a K10D SDM motor or a K100 Super SDM motor...

Didn't somebody buy~out DPReview recently? Was it Amazon.com?

I remember seeing a blurb somewhere

concerning this. Amazon.Com is selling K20D for 1,089 today, with free ship. You've got to go through a couple

pages to get this price which drops K20D to $989 once your $100 check arrives from rebate company.

Anyways...

Personally I think slow and inaccurate focus lock is a deal killer for me and I was bummed to read this. I'll wait to see

if it works better for Pentax mounts via reviewer comments before I buy one now.

Lindy

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_70-200_2p8_c16/

Cool, Internets gossip that fleshes out as fact. Refreshing.

I was surprised the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 got the very good review "rating" for eos mount considering the Cons.

Still DP is an enjoyable site to read. I'll just assume if its a reviewed item thats also for sale at the Jungle then its

likely going to get Kudos or high Kudos now, irrespective of the listed "Cons".

Lindy

Lindy, please don't spread those kind of filthy capitalistic ideas around the internet. Amazon is, first and foremost, a humanitarian effort dedicated in heart and soul to providing customers with only the best products at the very best prices. Profit is only an afterthought for them.

In other matters, I'll wait until the lens is reviewed on a Nikon or Pentax mount before I decide whether it belongs on my never-going-to-buy wish-list. I never care what a 3rd party lens does on Canon mount because there always seem to be problems with them...of course, if you own Canon bodies, then you have to listen, no?

The recent dpreview K20D review seemed bullish. I wouldn't read too far into the recommended/highly recommended ratings though on their reviews. I suspect that the lens mount would need to fall off during testing for a DSLR to somehow miss the 'Recommended' mark. Fortunately the accompanying review text seems pretty reliable.

It surprised me the eos mount version got the ax. I had seroiusly high hopes for the Tamron 70-200 2.8 in Pentax AF

full frame mount.

I agree a nikon mount review would be a better indicator of pentax mount performance concerning the Tamron f2.8

since both use screw drive AF. From what I've read the current Nikon manufactured f2.8 version at a cost of

$1790ish vignettes real bad on peoples $5,000 D3. Oops!

Which in my mind kinda illustrates the problems with being a crop aps-c dslr maker for years and then going back

to full frame for digital.

Lindy

Pete, I owned a Sigma 50-150 USM f/2.8 (version 1) when I shot Canon and currently have a Pentax DA* 50-135. Optically and build wise the two lenses are very, very close. In theory the Sigma with it's ring style USM motor should focus a tad faster of course it's only usable on a Pentax SDM body. The Sigma phot0s were pretty much indistinguishable from shots compared against a friends Canon's 70-200 f/4 L and that is high praise. I'd need the Sigma and the DA* side by side to tell any difference as I said they are very close and both two of the best lenses I've used. Given the Pentax is weather sealed and with the screw dive in addition to SDM is the more compatible of the two I'd probably buy it. I can highly recommend either without reservation. Although it would be interesting to put the new version 2 of the Sigma up against the DA* head to head, supposedly there was some close focusing improvements made to the updated Sigma. I have a difficult time imagining much improvement as the first was just excellent.

I'd love to play with a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 USM... That one might be a better fit for me than the 50-135 is. But then again there is enough on my wish list.

/Roger

Thanks to all for the quality replies. Roger, thanks. I think I will be looking for that Sigma 70-200. Seems to fit the range I want (some portraits, nature, sports). Mis, your insight into Amazon's true colors had me on the floor! Good stuff. The DA* 50-135 seems like an outstanding match for the k20, especially with the weather sealing but I really like that 70-200 range. Daniel, you also made me look into the lower zoom ranges and I think I will be adding the Sigma 18-50 to second on my list. Sadly I wish I had one of these zooms before I head to Venice, FL tomorrow. I am going to be very limited since I am bringing a cheapo 35-80, a 50/1.7 and a 2x-s converter. I just couldn't justify carrying all the others with 4 kids under the age of 9, white sand, blue ocean water, warm sunlight and beer wherever I go.

> Recommended at DP review as far as I can tell means don't buy it because there are better things around

What are the choices? Anyone did a comparation of this Tamron with its Canon IS equivalent, using dpreview comparometer?

I did and Tamron is better in any feature than Canon ! If Tamron is Recommended, then I guess Canon should be above average, lol !