SB 800 or SB 600

amanda_gammill

Hello, my question is one I am sure has been answered a dozen and a half times in some sort of way or another, but

I haven't found the exact answer that I am looking for so here goes my question.

I am using a Nikon D200 for an upcoming wedding. I will be using several lenses during the day. The Nikon AF

50mm F1.8 D, the Nikon 28-80mm 3-5.6 G, and the Nikon AF 70-300mm 4 - 5.6 G. I have always used Natural

lighting in the past in everything I shoot. Personal Preference. I am now going to use a speedlight to help with

shadows (bounce flash) if needed, but I am not sure which flash unit will do the job I need to do while the whole time

saving me a little money to do it. I have looked at both the SB 600 and 800. I am guessing that the only difference

really is the length of light you will get? Could someone elaborate on the issue at hand please.<div>00PxDc-51907684.thumb.jpg.3b524fc8b1d677e7816e1084992cd670.jpg</div>

I've used both the SB 800 and the SB 600. I've used the SB 800 when I shot indoor weddings - I've used it a lot outdoors too as a fill light. Just bought the SB 600 and used it for a wedding a few weeks ago. It seemed to do the same job that the SB 800 did. I'm not sure about all the different features and comparisons between the 800 and the 600 etc. but for what I needed it to do, the SB 600 worked great... I only used the SB 600 when it got darker outide and as a fill light. I used the TTL BL feature on the flash unit and increased the power as needed. I hope this helps. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on this issue.

The SB-800 is more powerful than the SB-600; you already know that and it is an important advantage.

Additionally, the SB-800 has a built-in, small pull-out white bounce card that is quite handy, and the SB-800 can serve as a commander in a Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting System) set up.

But the most important advantage is that the SB-800 can accept an external high-voltage power pack for quick flash recycle time. That is critical for wedding photography when you need to make successive flash shots. E.g., you can add a Nikon SD-8A power pack and use 6 AA batteries in there:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/146171-REG/Nikon_4729_SD_8A_Battery_Pack.html

Otherwise, you can get several under-flashed images after one big burst of flash.

Amanda, the SB 600 can also serve as commander for the Nikon CLS. In what recycling times are concerned, the SB600 is very quick, although it cannot accept the power pack. It also have the pull-out diffuser which you can leave a little upwards - not in front of the flash main strobe - enabling some bouncing light wich is very handy. The SB800 do have a dedicated white bouncer which whereas the SB600 do not, but you can buy some of those bouncer/diffusers at any store. I have both - the SB800 and SB600 - and the result is that I use the SB600 a lot more. I am quite unhappy for paying a lot more for the SB800, without real benefits.BTW, the SB900 is on it's way. Cheers

"the SB 600 can also serve as commander for the Nikon CLS." - that must be an improved one that you were lucky to get. Most SB 600 do not act as commander in CLS. Read page 60 in your SB-600 manual, oe specifications section.

another one:

"I used the TTL BL feature on the flash unit and increased the power as needed." - that is a great idea, forget the TTL/BL automation and just increase the power, but how to do it without killing the TTL/BL?

Thank you all for responding. I do not plan on using the slower lenses when doing close ups or even ceremony shots, because I am under the impression that a flash can not be used during the ceremony. I do plan on using the slower lenses outside and would then need the SB 800 or 600 as a fill flash. The ceremony will be held in a new sanctuary but they have the "old" church which I plan to do bridal portraits and bride and groom shots in. The "Old" church has less lighting than the new one and I am pretty sure I can use the darker lighting in my favor for a few shots, but at the same time I do not want to under expose the photo as well as over expose either. This is where the comment from Shun and Matt come into play. If I use the 50mm F1.8 lens plus the SB 800 will I get an over exposed photo?

Nikon's iTTL/CLS flash system is very very good. If you know how to use your equipment, you should not get over-exposed images with your f1.8 lens and the SB-800. You probably want to stop down to f2.8 or f4, anyway.

I don't shoot weddings for a living, only occasionally, but quick flash recycle is critical every time.

For example, when the bride and groom enter the receiption hall, you typically have only a few seconds to get off several shots, and the flash has to work every time within that few seconds. That is why it is important to have an external power pack.

And no, the SB-600 cannot be the commander in a CLS set up.

Amanda, I did a bridal shoot using the same lenses - the 50mm 1.8 lens and alos brought along my SB 600 unit. It did overexpose the image when I used it with the lenses but of course I was shooting outdoors - open shade at 1.8. It all depends on where you shoot. I did get amazing clarity without the fill flash, just used natural light at 1.8 and ISO 100. I love that little 50mm 1.8 lens. Just try it out with the flash and if it over exposes, just turn it off. Fairly simple. I'm sure you'll have fun at that shoot using the lens.

There is one more thing I'd like to point out, and please take all rumors with a grain of salt.

There are some rumors that Nikon will soon introduce a new flash. Unfortunately, I don't have any reliable information nor timing. If you can wait another week or two, you might want to see whether there will be something better. If not, the SB-800 would be my choice at the moment.

Thanks again. I understand now why I need the flash and I am greatful for the answers. I will get the SB 800 and the power pack just to use incase I need it. I would hate to not have it and need it rather than have it and not use it. I love the little 50mm f1.8 too. It has done wonders for me since I purchased it. I actually purchased it after I got my new D200 and I love the look of what the two give me. This will be the first wedding I have used it in, but I know my camera and lenses so I have no fear...lol The only thing I have fear about is that I have 3 weeks to learn the speedlight! Looks like I got my work cut out for me. : )

Have a good day everyone! Thanks again for the responses!

Amanda,

I shoot a D200 and just shot a friends wedding. I love photography and I wanted to do a good job. I picked up an SB-800 5 days before the shoot. It worked great with my slow kit lens. The critiques on here were more about image composition. Most thought the exposures were good. I didn't do much more than just TTL-BL mode. 3 weeks should be great for you to get a feel for it. I picked up a bracket as well. There are alot of differing opinions about that.

I didn't pick up a battery pack. I used the 5 battery set up for rechageable NiMh batteries. Recycle time when the batteries were fresh was great. I do feel a battery pack would be a huge advantage. I missed a few shots because of slower recycle time after the batteries were a little used up.

There is not a huge price difference between the SB-600 and SB-800. I felt the little extra was very justified.