Sigma 28-105 vs. 24-135

jonathan_rush

I recently picked up a Sigma 28-105 1:2.8-4 to replace my Sigma 28-105 1:4-5.6 as a walking around/family event

lens. Now I see several Sigma 24-135 1:2.8-4 on Bay for nice prices. Is the extra zoom range worth investing in

this lens? Which lens do you like better for IQ?

I've only got a chance to blow off one card of pics with the new lens, so I don't really have a handle on it's

qualities yet, especially since I switched to shooting RAW about the same time.

Image quality is great but some owners have had communication issues between the lens and dslr body. These problems usually involve menu screens that blink off. I have one that I have used with very few problems on a DL DS K100D Super and K10D. Keep the contacts clean and it will serve you very well.

Ira

From what I read in these reviews:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=203

the 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5 is very soft wide open. I had thought of getting it, but decided not to based on these reviews. I understand that it might not be razor-sharp wide open, but many go as far as to say that it's unusable. There's no point in getting a fast lens if you can't use it at it's maximum aperture.

Ira, what's your experience with sharpness?

I really like this lens. It is quite acceptably sharp wide open, and is a great general purpose lens to shoot family and life.

I reviewed it here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/showproduct.php?product=426&cat=74

The image quality, colour rendering, bokeh and speed are nice. It is a bit heavy to carry around all day, but the range makes it worth it. It's more convenient and has a faster minimum aperture than carrying an 18-55 and 50-200.

I have it, mainly because I got it incredibly cheap- $99 new a couple of years ago. Don't expect sharp, crisp results

wide open, but if it could do that it could compete with some very expensive zoom lenses- and even they are not at

best wide open. Cons- a bit large and weighty. Pros- very good range for moderate wide to tele- like a 35-200mm on

a film body; the faster aperture allows brighter viewing; good solid build quality with non-rotating front; the lens works

fine on film bodies too.

The degree of sharpness at wide apertures will probably vary with subject distance, and same for your Sigma 28-

105mm. If you want a very good, and also very compact 28-105mm, try to find a Pentax FA 28-105mm f/3.2-4.5, but

as you know, the 28mm provides only a semi-wide view on a DSLR.

Stepped down to f8 the 24-135 is a pretty good performer. I have used this lens happily on a istDS. But on my current K20 it perfomrs below par. Complete loss of contrast, virtually unusable. It seems, the 14.6 MP is just way too much for the 24-135. So, if you plan to buy a K20, forget the 24-135. Otherwise it is a good lens, very useful, indeed.