T-90 / 300TL combo question

bsharpe411

I've been using my T-90 for about a year now with the 300TL; keeping the flash in the "P" mode until I get familiar

with the camera. Checking the manual for the 300TL under Full Auto mode (pg 12) it says "No matter what mode the

camera is set for, it will automatically switch to the program mode and the flash will switch to the A-TTL mode."

My confusion is why then does the flash have a separate setting for A-TTL? If I stay on "P", I get A-TTL mode... or I

can switch to "mode set" and punch up A-TTL to get the same thing? I'm guessing that the second option allows me

to switch the camera off 'P' and use either aperature or shutter priority modes, while still retaining flash automation.

The manual doesn't really spell it out. Is there an independent book out somewhere that really goes into detail about

the features of the T-90 / 300TL combo?

BTW, I'm not even gonna think about 'FEL' mode until I master this one and 'M Hi / M Lo' modes are something I'll save

for my grandchildren to figure out.

If the switch on the flash is set to "P" then the flash controls the camera aperture and shutter speed, if it is not set to "P" and you have the A-TTL button pressed then you have control over the settings of the camera - you can set either the aperture or the shutter speed and the camera will select a corresponding shutter speed or aperture to correctly expose the scene AS IF NO FLASH WERE BEING USED, at the same time the flash will fire and will be stopped when the camera senses that it has received enough light; this should ensure that both the foreground (flash) and background (natural light) are correctly exposed but it is confusing to say the least. Another possibility is to set the lens aperture manually (take it off the A setting) and set a shutter speed on the camera body - this is the closest you will get to non-dedicated auto flash. The M Hi and Lo settings are for a fixed flash output, so you have to calculate the required aperture from the guide number, and the FEL setting is so complicated I've never bothered to try and work it out myself!

Bob as you have already figured out the manual for the 300TL is one of the most confusing things ever translated into English.

Check out http://www.canonfd.com/300ref/300ref.htm

That is a guide to the 300TL writen by Canon USA so that we dumbies would have some chance of figuring this thing out.

Me I got two of them and I still pray a little every time I trip the shutter with one of them on a camera.

I shot a couple weddings with the T-90 300TL combo and while some of the results were stunning I'll never do it again. Back to my Sunpack 433D's and the big Canons 577G and 533G with their transistor battery packs and lightning fast recycle times.

Jeremy, thanks for your input. It's sort of what I suspected, but it's always good to hear te same from another T-

90'er.

Mark, that link you provided is GREAT. It should be manditory reading for every one who is using this combo and

dares to switch off 'P'. Page 11 says exactly what I was assuming...if you select program on the T-90 and either 'P'

or "A-TTL' on the flash, the results are exactly the same. Again, it's reassuring to know somebody agrees with you.

Back in the early 70's I sold Canon's; along with Nikon's, Pentax's, etc. at a local camera store. The other guys

working there were already into the non-Canon SLR's. The regional Canon Rep. wanted to get into our lineup, and

as part of his plan, decided to have me part with my Ricoh Singlex and get into Canon. He gave me a really good deal

on the FTb-n when it first came out (even a really good deal on the F-1 was out my budget then). 35+ years later

and many thousands of pics later, it's still part of my Canon team. I mention this only because selling a flash back

then was so much simplier. The thyristor auto flash had just come out. Teaching the customers back then was fun.

Dial in the ASA into the flash, find the correct f-stop, match in on the lens, set the x-sync and bingo! It's probably a

good thing that I moved on before the 300TL came out. The last thing I'd want to do is look stupid in front of a

customer, but I'd bet FEL would have kept me up nights trying to resolve the issues. I'd probably have super-glued

all the units on 'P' and tell the customers any other setting will only ruin your exposure.

I used to manage a camera shop in those days Bob, and like you shortly after moved on ( probably because I didn't

understand the 300TL, so I can't advise you), I do recall the first two 300TLs we sold , the customers brought

back with some sort of electrical fault that caused them to overheat and melt the casing, fusing the batteries

inside them, twenty odd years on, I bought a T90 three weeks ago,I don't have a 300TL yet, I hope I don't buy

one of the early ones. but with my luck probably will.