Which is the best version of the 50mm F/1.8 AI, AI-s, AF, or AF D?

jerry_schuler

Like others around here, I have an "embarrassment" of 50mm Nikkors. The plain vanilla 50/2 AI is truly stellar, followed by the 50/1.8 AI. I got a 50/1.8E with a mint $40 FG last summer and was very pleasantly surprised how sharp and contrasty it is. The 50/1.8AFD is great but not jaw-dropping, though the rickety build-quality worries me about its ability to survive even a mild bump.

I've had two different versions of the Series E 50/1.8, and found both to be really excellent. Yes, they're made with more plastic and less metal than the AI and AI-S, but they're still sturdier and have better fit-and-finish than most of the kit lenses I've seen and used.

Optically, my two Series E 50s were just as sharp as my 50/1.8 AI-S. The only difference I could see was that the color balance was ever-so-slightly cooler than the AI-S, and maybe a tiny bit less contrasty, but really, the difference was barely noticeable. The Series E lenses are great values, and anyone who turns his nose up at one is doing himself a disservice!

• 3 months later...
"Cleaning marks" are maybe to be expected on old soft coatings and glass from the 1950s and earlier, but they shouldn't be appearing on a more modern lens that's been properly cared for. There are far too many 50/1.8 Nikkors out there to mess with one that isn't 100%.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious, Jerry, to know what you did.

I happened to pick up a 50mm AI 1.8 for $80 and I love it..

HOWEVER - I am finding myself spending quite a bit of time in post processing correcting exposure since I cannot meter with it.

Now... I hear the AF-D version calling my name..... AAAGGGGGHHH!!!!!

I've only had it (the 50 1.8 AI) for a few months. Maybe I should give myself more time and perhaps my metering skills will improve. It *sure* would be nice to shoot in shutter priority with a prime lens, though is what I'm thinking.