Which camera is sharper and more reliable.

I would like to purchase a medium format camera. I am leaning towards a Mamiya 7II or a Fuji 6x7III--I will use the camera mainly in a

studio (strobe lighting). My funds are tight so I want to get a camera which is razor sharp (if such a camera exists--lol) and one that has an

excellent maintenance record. What are your suggestions?

PS: My budget is approx $1500.

Neither the 7II nor the 6X7III is realy a studio camera. There are some used Fuji GX-680s around but they are fairly expensive. A Mamiya RB67 or RZ67 will give you the format size you want along with a good supply of high quality used lenses. What about sharpness? All of these cameras and lenses will give you excellent sharpness if they are in good condition and are used properly. If you expect to be making prints larger than 20X30" with any frequency then you should consider a 4X5 camera instead.

Thanks Jeff. Yes I will use it mainly in the studio, but i always hand hold my cameras (move around a lot) and the models

are usually moving. My nikon d2x is good for that purpose, i really want much better quality. I will from time to time use

the camera outdoors. Does that help refine my requirements?

I have no direct experience, but if you read around a bit you will discover that the Mamiya 7 has the reputation of having some of the very sharpest, nicest optics in the business, bar none, including the other high-priced brands, and the body has the rep of feeling like something you'd buy in the toy section of K-Mart, but is still reliable.

I think you will find that the realities of medium format are quite different from that of the D2XS. The Mamiya and Fuji are

both excellent cameras that are really sharp and nice to use handheld, but if you are moving around a lot and your

models are also moving, they will be difficult to focus. Are you familiar with rangefinders? They are great for general

photography, but in the studio they can be a bit handicapped because they have limited close focus ability, inexact

framing, no ttl viewing and you can only focus using the center patch. You would be wise to keep in mind that the

minimum focus of the Mamiya 7's 80mm lens is 1m, but the 150mm lens only focuses to 1.8m. I would agree with Jeff

that you would be better served by an RB/RZ for this type of work. It is made for the studio. It is big and a bit heavy to

use handheld, but it is possible. I would recommend just getting a good ballhead and tripod so that you can move and

compose quickly and still have camera support. A monopod is another solution. <P>If you have not used it before,

understand that medium format is quite different than 35mm digital. (10 shots per roll on 6x7, no AF, slower lenses, more

basic metering (or no metering), and so on).

The Pentax 67 has a focal plane shutter and 1/30 sec sync speed. I'd select a system with leaf shutter lenses and get flash sync at all speeds. Perhaps a Bronica GS-1 as it's easier to hand hold than a Mamiya RZ.

The Mamiya 7 II is an excellent camera, but you won't be able to shoot in tight. Perhaps you should rent one for a few days before you buy.

Hi George.

I've seen your work and understand your needs, I think. I believe you'd be happiest with an RB/RZ 67. Some people claim they're not meant to be shot hand held, but it's the only way I shoot mine, and the rotating back allows me to use the inexpensive and much brighter waist level finder even in portrait orientation. I don't have the luxury of a studio, so I shoot in available light, but the leaf shutters are much better suited to strobes than focal plane shutters are. Mamiya glass is second to none, so you need not worry about that. The list of lenses and accessories available second hand for the RB/RZ line is extensive and relatively inexpensive compared to some other MF lines. Good luck and keep up the great work.

I thank all of you for your suggestions. It seems the Mamiya rb/rz is the best choice if I understand your comments

correctly. Funny, approx 25 years ago I picked up a RB and returned it because I thought it was too much camera for me.

lol. I may be picking it up again. Jay, surprised you saw some of my images. I am just a glam guy, nothing really

serious, but I do want quality images, and glad you think my images are good (I know I need more improvement). Thanks

again to you all. This is the first time I visited this site and I think it is great.

Hi George,

I have seen some of your work, as well. And I agree with Jay -- it is very very good.

While I work mainly with Hasselblad (V series) and Rolleiflex (TLRs), I would echo the recommendations you've already received for Mamiya RB/RZ. Fits nicely within your stated budget, quality is outstanding, and the 6x7 format will be better for full length body shots than would 6x6.

Best wishes.