How good the Tokina 12-24 f/4 really is ?

mauricio_orozco

This is going to be the first time that I will buy a wide angle lens and of course, I need your opinion. I am thinking

about the Tokina 12-24 f/4 for my Nikon D300. If anyone of you have tested this lens on the D300 or any other Nikon

camera from D80 and up, please share with me your experience. I am always looking for optical quality and I would

like to know if this lens is really as good as they say it is. Thank you for all your input and help.

I have had zero complaints with the 12-24/4 Tokina. I think the question you have to ask yourself, is do you shoot in

situations where you would want a faster lens? If so, you may want to think of the new Tokina 11-16/2.8. I always shoot

the wide angle at f/5.6 or smaller so I prefer the wider range of the 12-24. It's a great lens.

I thought the Tokina 12-24 was a fantastic lens. Then when I bought the Nikon 16-85mm, there was just no incentive to carry it around since the 16-85 covers really all the wide and telephoto I need most of the time. So I sold it. Am thinking of getting the Sigma 10-20mm but I want to see a lot of samples before I take the plunge. Wish Nikon made a 10mm or 11mm f4 prime wideangle, not a fisheye...

Being pixel peeper, I noticed softer image on one side and sharper on the other at very high magnification on D200 and D70. I returned it and got replacement identical new one, that was much better.

Sold it in anticipation to get the FX format camera and the 14-24 FX lens.

The Tokina is sharp thoughout the zoom range and at all f/stop. The focus clutch is a great feature for me...A lot of the DX lenses have vignetting but this lens does not.. I cannot fault this lens but I am not a lens tester type person. I just shoot pictures. If it does not perform I get rid of it. This one is a keeper.

I used to own the Tokina 12-24 and I really liked it --sold it for a Tokina 11-16 for the f/2.8.

Any ways, very good pictures, always very pleased with them. I really liked the quality of the construction as the lens has a very nice solid feel to it. Not flimsy at all. There is actually a thread from a few weeks ago here where pictures were taken with the Nikon 12-24, Tokina 12-24, and the Tokina 11-16. Under a "controlled" test there is a difference. But, walking around taking shots there will be little to no difference in sharpness.

The remaining aspects of image quality will be subjective.

Thank you guys, but now I got another question, because I just bought the Nikon 16-85 mm VR II and according to Dave Lee ( above ), the range of the Tokina 12-24 when you pair it with the Nikon, it does not makes any sense, so, has anyone tested or shoot with the new Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 yet ? I would love to have that range and have the chance to shoot at f/2.8. Please, your advise !!