K20D for under $800...

christer_medin1

Just thought I'd share. I've been shopping for a new DSLR for a while, and been eyeing the K20D as well as the

A700 and 40D. It appears Microsoft has been hitting the crack pipe lately and is offering 20% off ebay purchases

if you use Live Search:

<br><br>

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=850694&highlight=pentax

<br><br>

And combined with the Pentax rebate you can likely score a K20d for < $800 shipped. Just wanted to share since I

am sure people other than me are still on the fence. :)

You need a live.com or hotmail.com to see the cash back from purchasing from advertisement. It is microsoft strategy to get customers to use their search engine From what I understand, the live search sponsored link in the top banner or the right side banner will have about 2 to 4 percent cashback. Buydig is in the list and I look and it has about 2% cashback and I still don't see how you can get to $800, my rough count get it to about 950 after rebate. And I don't know if student discount is included in the claim of closer to $800.

It really isn't that complicated...

Go to live.com and search for something like 'pentax camera'. Most likely (all the time for me) you'll get a little ad near the top saying "You may get 20% off" and an ebay link. Click the link. Anything qualified purchased within the next 60 minutes off ebay gets 20% off. The item needs to be a 'buy it now' item, and I think Paypal has to be the only option to pay (though in most cases it is).

You should be able to find a K20D from a reputable place for around $1100 listed. Take 20% off that price, then another $100 for the Pentax rebate (again, make sure you're not getting ir from some shady place), and you have yourself a deal. When you hit buy it now you should see a little 'microsoft cashback' logo and something saying how much of a discount you're looking at. If you don't see this then the item/seller isn't eligible for some reason. I just tried a few and they all worked though...

And yes, you do need a 'live cashback' account which takes all of 2 minutes to sign up for free.

PS: This isn't limited to Pentax cameras, or cameras at all for that matter. People have been buying gift cards, currency, gold, etc with the 20% off (max $250 per transaction and $750/person I believe). A few days ago it was 35% off anything. Some brave souls stack this with a 10% off coupon but that can invalidate the cashback deal...

Does it apply to Canada? I suppose it is as ebay or paypal does not recognise the US/Canada boundary at all. If I order throug newegg, I got refused because it only takes U S visa.

I do not mind forgoing the $100 rebate for the add yr on warranty. Currently the best I got is Can$1099 for K20D. That $200 will be a final push to the lalaland of K20D.

Daniel, Toronto

• 3 weeks later...