Tamron 90 mm macro di f/2.8 for Nikon

Larry_G1664882113

I own that lens, I am very pleased with it. I do not use the hood with it because the glass is so far recessed, and the

hood would add another 3 inches or so to the front. Yes, always use a tripod for macro work. I have found it sharp

through f32, and have not seen problems there either. I have used it also for portraits, handheld, of my dogs, and

could see the individual whiskers and hairs on the faces very distinctly, eyelashes also, very sharp. I did get

reflections when I was shooting with it for coin macros, so you may want to try to position your flash strategically. I

use my Tamron with a D2X mainly.

Enjoy the lens, I love mine,

Debra

For macro, don't be scared to turn all the automated stuff off (shutter, aperture, ISO, focus, WB) and set things manually in order to get a feel for the image as you make adjustments, take your time and try the same shot while experimenting with depth of field only, see how yo like different apertures at different distances. Also experiment with placing various backgrounds, sometimes the natural background is great, sometimes, you might want to hold a pattern or an item of some sort in order to get some contrasting colors... Macro is great since many moments stay for a while, just keep working with them!

Larry, I also have the lens and love it. Just great for macro shots.

I would add a couple things..... First, watch your lighting. It can be tricky when you are working so close to something like a flower or bug outside because of shadows. Sometimes it helps to use a flash, maybe off camera, or a reflector.

Also, use your DOF preview. Again, because you are working so close to something, there are times you want to stop down for more definition. DOF Preview is a good way to see what you will be getting.

And yes, the lens is outstanding for photographing dogs. Mine has a large snout (uh, the dog, not the lens) so f/5.6 works very well.