Nikon D70 - big prints

RaymondC

Hi, a work colleague like some of my photographs, so she wanted a big print of it ... It is to be framed on the

wall above the staircase. She wanted the largest and the online lab that I used was A1 or about 20x30 inches.

I have sent the file to the lab - how would it turn out like? I used 10% upsample series on Photoshop and saved

it as a JPEG 8 bit, sRGB. They don't accept TIF. Pro labs do but they are v expensive, for that size they

probably want $200US for it except one which I just found out was cheaper (see below).

The printer they use is a wide format Epson with Epson semi gloss paper.

The file was shot on a boat with a pretty high shutter speed on ISO 200, a 50/1.8D lens. Shot in JPG because

back in 2004 the memory cards were expensive.

I jsut found out a pro lab does a discount service that is "direct print" without lab intervention. I should of

used that cos that is Lightjet prints with Fuji paper I think and they also do larger sizes with the width of up

to 120 inches I think. But anyway maybe in the future. But if in the future I wanted even larger what can the

D70 do? Can it do a 60x90 print?

She initially wanted a larger than 20x30 and printed on canvas.

PS. I am not in the USA.

Thanks.

My suggestion is to do a crop sample.

I assuming you have a 8 x 10 printer.

So make a copy of your photo. Then crop off a section that is in ratio to the 60 x 90 inch print.

8x10 is to 60x90 by way of.

.13 X (original pixel height) = Pixel height crop

.11 x (original pixel Length) = Pixel width crop

So if you picture is 3872 x 2592

.13 x 2592 = 337

.11 x 3872 = 425

Again, if you picture is 3872 x 2592

crop out pixel section 337 x 425

Print it on 8x10 and you should be able to get and idea of what the resolution of your 60 x 90 print would look like.

This is what I would do before I spent the money for that enormous print

I have attempted large prints from a D70. From raw files and using upscaling software, the absolute best I could get was 24 inches by 16 inches. Above that, pixellation started to break up the image unacceptably. I was using an Epson 4800 printer and Epson semi gloss paper. If you were to go to canvas, I suspect that you could live with a bit less resolution. Some people claim 30 x 20 is possible. If you stand 20 feet away, perhaps yes. However, some proplabs can also do amazing things but at a price.

Hi,

The results depend on the subject matter---a lot. Some pics require more resolution than others.

My experience--I printed up some D70 photos of the London skyline at mpix.com at about 16 inches X 24 inches. They look pretty good to me, and I like a sharp print. From 2 feet or more away, you'll be quite pleased, I think. 20X30 is bigger, though. You could crop a section, as suggested above, to get an idea.

If you press your nose up against the print, it isn't nearly as sharp as someone could do with an 8X10 view camera. I've seen large prints made from view cameras, and they are amazing, and a good deal sharper. Thus, as has been pointed out here on photo.net more times than I can count, your format should be determined by your output needs.

Cheers,

Gregory