Memory card compatibility of M8 and storage devices

I simply use the LaCie 175 extreme for Leica Digital and P2 but have LaCie 2 TB & 500 GB HD's for use with my G5 Tower. I use

multiple cards while I am out, back up to the extreme each night and then when back at the studio dump it all via Lightroom onto a

dedicated La Cie 500GB with another LaCie 500GB as a mirror back up. A pro friend of mine recently fried his drives and

had no B/ups, lesson learned. HD's are so cheap.

According to the M8 manual, "SD cards up to 4Gbyte, larger SD cards with a firmware update" are supposed to be

compatible. That says nothing about SDHC ... I'd call Leica Customer Support and find out for sure.

Godfrey

Leica NJ answered my query about this a couple of days ago saying there's a "rumor" it's near completion for a

firmware upgrade to use SDHC.

The Wolverine is very cost effective, served me well on a long trip from the Falklands to Spain up the Atlantic

Ridge, so I'd recommend it.

• 2 months later...

I found the Hama card on the website listed to be a 4gb card compatible, and I can tell you the Sandisk 4gb is not recognized. Am sending my M8 in this week, maybe they will change that as well, I bought a few cards without reading the specs.

2gb ultra and extreme cards seem to be on sale now, or rebates, etc.

I never thought 2gb would be a "smaller" card. Those DNG's+JPEG add up.

Regards, John

• 7 months later...

This machine seems wonderful out of the box, radio, game,recorder,backup. I ve been shooting for 19 years and am not

an angry person take this information for what it is worth, I bought this item so as to backup images instead of carrying a

lap top thru Thailand. The machine was purchased 16 months ago but never used just charged to keep battery up. The

ESP was only used for this trip/job. So loaded images into system on CF and SD cards from Nikon and Leica systems.

After 21 days after downloading machine froze! First the machine had hard time shutting down then the battery fell out

during shut down stage which caused the HD to crash reset button never worked. I am not hard on gear in no way,my

gear is how I make my living so I treat it well.[...] could not fix, hard drive broken, nor can they give me any idea of what

went wrong, this never happens! Read [...] reviews way down the list some people not so happy. SO if you are serious

about your money or making images. Best bet buy a Apple lap top $999 and Hard drive $120 and go that route or carry

enough cards for work. This also enables emails and music movies for $700.00 more! The Wolverine ESP is a waste of

time and your hard earned money. I am just passing on info so to save you $300+ and some stress. Please don't take

this as a angry review did I get a lemon who knows can YOU take that risk. Am I upset sure but mostly that the machine

cost $300+ and really doesn't work.