Filters for ZD and OM

brian_bahn

I would like to purchase filters for my E510 that has the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses. I also have an OM-1 I still tinker

with now and then. I want to get a circular polarizer, an ND filter and a warming filter. My question is is there a set up

that I could use the same filters for both sizes of lenses(49mm and 58mm)? I don't want to spend an exhorbitant

amount for a whole set up so if it ends up too costly I may just buy piece by piece.

I guess I am basically asking what are my options as far as using the same filters on both lenses?

I would be using the filters for landscapes mainly. The warming filter for portraits occasionally.

Have you checked Wolf Camera,and taken a look at the "Cokin Filter System"? Is sounds similar to what you describe. Basically, the Cokin Filters are all the same size, and they slide down into a frame that you connect to your lens. You buy the adaptor piece that connects the frame to your particular lens. I have never used them, so I cannot comment on their performance. Perhaps some of the pros have used them.

Check camerafilters.com for filters and step-up rings. They allow you to shop based on both price and quality of filters. This is nice because you can spend the money where it counts on the filters, and save some cash on the step-rings where it doesn't matter that much. I just checked, they have a step-up 49mm to 58mm for $1.80.... buy a couple of them for your OM lenses. They also have 58mm snap-caps for $1 a piece... which you will want to cover your OM lenses with the filter on it. It may look a little strange, but it will def save you money over buying duplicate filters in multiple sizes.

The Cokin filters come in at least three sizes, as there are that many series. You are probably thinking of the A series.

I use step up rings quite a lot, to save money (I use only top quality filters) and to economise on space. You have to think through as to whether the resulting compromises with use of hoods is acceptable.

If, by a warming filter, you mean a Skylight 1B, then don't economise, the default being to leave one on each lens as physical protection. Anyway, why would you want a warming filter for the E510? Does the same question arise for an ND, as opposed to an ND grad, filter?

The Cokin filter holder(s) are quite flexible, but the Cokin filters are crap. The set-up (as any other with square filters) is not good for routine use, but has its advantages for landscape photography (usually from a tripod) especially with graduated filters.

Step-up rings have the problems that the hoods usually don't fit, and in most cases I prefer a hood over a filter. I am not sure for what you want an ND and warming filter for a digital camera. Can't this all been adjusted either in software or at the camera (change ISO to low for simulating an ND filter?). Only the effect of a pol filter should be difficult to simulate (especially with respect to suppresing reflections).

Olympus build 45 of its 60 OM lenses to be used with only three diameters (49, 55, 72mm). Now for the E-system, 10 filter sizes are used for 23 (Olympus, not incl. Sigma, Leica) lenses.

My suggestion is to invest in a set of good quality filters (e.g., Hoya = Kenko = Hama, Heliopan, B+W) for each lens size. For digital, I do think that only polarising filters are essential. The "Digital" attribute on the filter is not a quality mark but a sales gimick.