Tripod head for Calumet 4x5

darryl_roberts1

I recall that either the Bogen/ManfrottoXX29 or XX39 is their heavy duty head and quite usable for any view camera. It ought to be less expensive than the 3263. I found the 3047 to be a bit undersized for LF and replaced mine with (I think) a very heavy duty 3054 which had the quick change 4"x4" plate. I don't think it sold well and was discontinued some time ago, but I sure like mine. The XX29/39 would work well, and if you use a flatbed field camera, see if if you can get one of those plates for it (I think it uses the hex adapter as well).

The heads and tripods mentioned are all fine and are all a bit costly...many costing more than your camera probably did! Being somewhat frugal (my wife spells that "c-h-e-a-p"), I picked up a nice Davis and Sanford tripod on eBay for about $60.00 delivered. The old D&S air-lift studio tripods (square leg tops and usually a simple tilt head) will hold a good sized photographer steady in a fair gale and are still light enough to carry in the field if you're not into long-distance hiking. I knew about the D&S tripods 'cause I'm an old codger and was shooting big cameras when they were still being made!!! Oh, by the way, make sure your chin isn't over the tripod when you unlock the center post...it can go up rather briskly at times on these beasts!

Darryl I don't believe the heads for the tripod he is talking about will fit on your legs and 60 bucks for a

complete set with that set up is pretty darn good, better than any head available. Those use a 42mm post instead

of the screw mount and they look about like a shipping dock. Simple design incredible stability and many years

of proven useability.

I'll second the D&S Prolifts, especially with the majestic heads, but that's probably a little more tripod than you want to carry around for any distance. They're out there inexpensively, I had two given to me by a photographer that sold off his long roll cameras and figured I like big cameras and could use them, he was right, one stays in the van all the time.

There are a couple of other tripod head you may want to consider:

If you can find one. Baco made a series of heads similar to the Ries, if not the predecessor. I have a couple different ones, the smaller at about 4 1/2" in daimter works well with any camera I have up to my 8x10 field camera, and it's light as can be (I tend to keep in on top of an old Quickset Senior, weighs a few pounds and everybit as rigid as any other tripod I own)

A gitzo 1570M can be had cheaply, but has a larger platform, if that's not a problem, they're stable as can be, and it takes my 50 lb. 20x24 monster to make it flinch, and in a pinch it would work.

erie

I used my 3047 head for many years (about 15) before the forward tilt became so unreliable as to be unusable with

any heavy camera, whether it be a 35mm SLR with a telephoto, or my old Orbit 4x5, or my newer cameras such as a

Toyo or various field views. Here is the B&H info on the head I recommended which turns out to be the 3039 (but

it sells for $205):

"The Bogen/Manfrotto 229 Super Pro Head is a finely machined head, designed for greater positioning precision

with smooth, certain action. It features three built-in bubble levels for horizontal and vertical control, and

the oversized handles have calibrated degree indicators viewed from the operator's position for all axes. This

rock-steady head locks easily and securely.

All pan heads fit any Bogen tripod, or any tripod with 3/8" thread. Pan heads screw right on and can also be

locked in with the three locking screws in the center post platform of the tripod base.

Replaces part number 3039."

As an alternative, try looking for a good used head as others recommended. but don't get a lighter duty head than

this (i.e. don't get a 3047 or its equivalent if you are going to routinely use it for a view camera)

Hi Darryl....

I have used a Bogen 3047 for 15 years with 4 x 5's and with a Tachihara 8 x 10. Absolutely no problems ever. I use an Arca Swiss ball head with my Linhoff Technikarden, again, no problems. There are lots of good heads out there, you might check some of the mail order catalogs...they often have the recommended loads for the heads they sell listed.

Good luck in your search!

Ed

Hi, Darryl.

Assuming you are still looking, the Calumet 4x5's are not terribly heavy cameras and can be used on a mid weight tripods and heads with little worry. One of my favorite heads is the Bogen/Manfrotto 410 which has three point gross, and micro adjustments. It is likely designed more for medium format cameras, but I use mine with both a Zone VI and a much heavier Cambo SCX and have used it one rare occasion with a very heavy Ansco field 8x10 and a big lens with total success.

This head allows you to make extremely fine movements in all three planes by turning good sized knobs. Instead of the hit or miss of loosening a handle and then trying for the placement you want, the 410 sneaks up on it until you are exactly where you want the camera to be. It has the standard 1/4 x 20 or 3/8 mounting threads (don't remember which) that fits dozens of different leg set.

Good luck.

Tim