Schneider Longar & Rollei Apogon 1.4x Teleconverters

bradleygibson

I recently bought a new Rollei 1.4x Longar from B&H and it came, shrink-wrapped in a box labelled Longar, with a

brochure labelled Longar, but the actual optic labled Apogon.

Instead of "Schneider-Kreuznach AF-Longar 1.4x HFT System Rolleiflex 6000 Made in Germany", mine says "Rolle

AF-Apogon Converter 1.4x HFT System 6000 Made in Germany".

Everything seems legitimate--the serial number of the unit matches the Test Certificate stamped by Rollei, etc.,

so I'm not concerned about any foul play--I'm more interested in the optical formula and performance of an Apogon

vs. a Longar.

My research so far has revealed that the Longar is, in fact, a Schneider brand, and that the Longar was designed

by Schneider specifically to integrate with the optics of the Xenotar 80/2.8, Tele-Xenar 180/2.8 and

Apo-Tele-Xenar 300/4 (although it works with other lenses as well).

I cannot find any information on the Apogon 1.4x TC. It is a Rollei brand, and that's about all I know.

Can anyone shed some light on the Apogon 1.4x TC's optical formula, design, and/or history?

Much appreciated,

Brad

Whoops, I need to proofread better! Two things:

My optic says "Rollei AF-Apogon Converter 1.4x HFT System 6000 Made in Germany" (not "Rolle") and I've learned that the Longar is designed as part of the the Xenotar 80/2.0's optical formula (not the 2.8).

-Brad

I just found this...it is a German photo store, and they have pictures of a teleconverter. Theirs says Schneider-Kreuznach

AF-Longar 1,4x HFT System Rolleiflex 6000 Made in Germany....so it is a little different in naming and so on, but it looks

like Rollei might have just taken over the production (at least in name), and as such, they changed it from a Schneider

name to a Rollei name. <P>http://www.fotopartner.de/cgi-bin/fotopartner?

HTML=show/standard.htm&VS_TAB_NAME=W_ROL_6000_OBJ&VS_PARENT_ID=11310543005062&VS_INDEX=11313

63481164&VS_PROD_POS=13&ID=6SKDNWZqvALCFOmx.0.1213885023

Thank you, Urs! I appreciate that!

I used my Apogon yesterday for the first time on the 300, and it was as excellent & unobtrusive to image quality as everyone has suggested. I didn't do any rigorous testing, but I didn't see any image degradation for having used it.

Good to know that it is the same optical formula.

Thanks again, Urs,

Brad