Daytime Outdoor Concert

nick_pandya

I was recently asked to take pictures at a daytime concert. I was able to get on stage (which was completely

shaded from the sun) to take pictures. When I tried to capture photo from behind the artist the sunlight

completely washed out the background.

My question is, what type of equipment can I used to knock down the brightness of the sun. I do have a

polarizing

filter. I tried using that but it darkened my subjects who where standing in the shade.

Equipment: Canon XTI, 50mm f/1.8 Lens, ISO 100.<div>00Ps6Y-50153584.jpg.a9e4df56e87e23f2d703bbf7f964d9ea.jpg</div>

you need to balance the intensity of the light between the stage area and the background at the f-stop + Shutter speed + ISO you choose to use . Meaning: you need to get much morelight on the stage. The polarizing filter isn't helping you in any way except to make everything dimmer -- which probably makes your flash work harder than it really needed too.

It looks like you need more flash power. Your camera may not be able to use flash above 1/125 sec ( I am not familiar with your model) so you are forced to use a small aperture to avoid burning out the background. This means that the flash has to be able to put out a lot of light. The only answer may be to use something bigger.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/syncspeed.htm

Gareth thank you that link was very informative. I was using the Canon 430X flash which supports high speed sync.

At the time I didn't have it set to the high sync mode. There are so many things to think about and the artist (my

client) had only ten minutes of stage.