18-200mm vs 18-55 & 55-200mm

jeff_yoon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon,

I've got a great new fix for zoom creep for the 18-200VR which someone on DPR shared there. Seen the bracelets made of sturdy rubber with messages around? Often to cure some disease.... Get one of those & thread it over the lens. Will most assuredly keep the lens in place. If not available to you - - buy a heavy duty rubber band & thread it on.

Lil :-)

or my original post wasn't detailed enough

yes i just bought D40 that came with 18-55mm. and i wanted 18-200 but i'm not a pro in anyway. i just want to take decent pictures and have fun. i dont print pictures that much. and i was looking at 18-200 but really dont feel like spending 800 dollars on a lens at this moment. so i am just thinking if i should just get 55-200 so i can cover all the way from 18 to 200 or just save the money and get some other lens in the future. i could get 55-200 for around 230-250. but the 18-200 is like 700-800

Jeff, I am not sure that it makes a huge difference, but you should be able to get a new 18-200mm DX for about US$650 or so.

Incidentally, a member who is not a moderator alerted me about some off-topic posts in this thread, and I have done some clean up. Unfortunately, I am leaving some gaps among the posts as there are now references to comments that are gone.

I have all these three lenses, give you my opinions:

18-200:

(p) convenient, sharp, quick focus, good build quality

© a bit heavier than 18-55 plus 55-200, obvious distortion in wide-angle, the magnification in 200mm side is not as

big as the 55-200 one in near distance shot, which is called 'zoom shrink'

18-55:

light weight, decent build and optical quality, can do some micro photo use, no internal flash light block

55-200:

light weight, decent build and optical quality, nice photo color like film (a bit warm yellow, using D40x), no internal

flash light block

As my experience, 18-200 is really the best for travelling, which can avoid you losing chance, but not make you

hypodynamic

I'll add my voice to those in favour of the 18-200VR here.

You'll read a lot of comments against it and - sure - if you are getting into DSRL as a serious/artistic hobbyist or with

aspirations to turn pro then maybe there are better lenses for you.

But if you are looking at a DSLR as a 'step up' from point and shoot - that is - if you are looking for point and shoot

type convenience and flexibility (including having one primary lens rather than switching all the time), but with the

image quality and features that SLR allows, then it's a winner.

I've been going through a prime lens phase for the last few months. But the convenience that this lens offers means

that I'm not going to get rid of my copy anytime soon as a back-up option, and for when I want/need to go 'ultra-light'.

For what it's meant to be and do, it's great.

Just my 2 cent worth:

I have the 55-200 VR and am quite satisfied with it. It is a very good lens, even wide open (which means F4) at 55mm. At 200mm it is somewhat softer, so you have to stop down to F8. The VR gives you 1-2 F-stops. I also used the 18-55mm a lot, but replaced it with the 18-135, which is sharper wide open and more versatile.

I cannot, or better do not wish to, spend the money for the 18-200mm VR, which is still a lot more expensive here than the combo 18-55 and 50-200. If, however, you have the money and want one lens only, then the 18-200 VR is the way to go. The 18-135 has no VR.

All in all, it is a matter of budget and your preferences.

I just want to know where Sanford Gerald got an 18-200VR with NO lens creep! That is my only complaint with the lens... otherwise I love it. I have not owned the other two lens, but compared to some older AF Nikkor lens I have had, I much prefer the performance and versatility of the 18-200.... Mike

Ok guys, I'm old enough to handle some derision for this suggestion, and even some laughs if you're not too obvious about it; but here is a possible fix for the lens "creep" with the 18-200VR.

I have taken one of my football koozees, the insulated drink holder, and cut a 1-5/8" strip from the open end. Now, this is not the big fat foam type, but the 1/8" thick, fabric covered type. As it happens my team is navy blue, so it blends well with the lens; turn it inside out and pull it on down to the zoom ring. It stops the creep and as a bonus protects the middle portion of the lens and is a nice grip also. A negative is that you cannot see the zoom indicator.

A field test will follow this weekend in the mountains. I knew it, I hear laughter, but I'm going to try it out anyway.... Mike