What would you buy?

durr3

What you would buy or what I might buy might be quite unsuited to your friend. Think about their specific interests or ask questions to elucidate them if you don't know. Then try to plan a set of choices that are consistent with that. If you want some ideas and focus, consider the various headings under the "Learning" tab above (where you will also find guidance if your friend's interests stray into an area where you have less knowledge).

Data storage: external hard drive, remote storage, online storage of raw files etc. I'd put the remainder in a fund to support future migration of stored images to newer storage formats, whatever they may be.

I just recently got the 5D with the 24-105mm f/4 L IS in a kit for $2700. I'm really satisfied with it, and the lens is an awesome general purpose one.

But if you're friend is just starting out, and doesn't know a lot about photography, then maybe the Rebel XSI, and invest in more good lenses.

Depends on what he/she wants to shoot and so on.

Without knowing as to what someone hopes to get out of their camera and lenses it is hard to make any sort of judgment based on just "getting started".

Rebel XTi XSi, Xt and one or two decent lenses?

Canon's 40D with a kit lens or go for a standard or mid-range zoom?

The 5D and then just sit and look at it because you spent your budget already and now cannot afford a lens! OR get the kit for a little more then the $2500 limit and be fairly satisfied AGAIN DEPENDING on what style of shooting.

Who knows really? Also consider memory cards, a flash, case or bag, perhaps extra batteries, sturdy tripod and so on ...

Do they already have Canon gear?

Maybe they should dip their toe in without too much initial committment. Even a consumer body like the XSi and it's kit lens might be an ok way to start and they could see how they liked it. Or they could rent a couple of different Nikon or Canon outfits for a day or two to see if it's worth spending the money on.

If they want to go DSLR, they'll need a decent computer too, and software for it (photoshop, lightroom, etc,). Canon comes with DPP which isn't bad and it's free or Photoshop elements isn't bad to start with either. But with large digital files, a modern computer is almost essential.

Then don't forget the add-ons -- memory cards, backup disk drives or blank DVDs, printers to print the pictures (and if they're going to sell their stuff it will probably have to be a good printer), printer ink cartridges, paper (which can be pricy indeed). Don't spend all the money in the budget on the body.

Canon 40D a great bargain right now at $940 usd, Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS $960,

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM $550. Kingston Technology 4 GB, 133x

Elite Pro Compact Flash Memory Card $29. Photoshop Elements 6.0 $90. Total

$2569. Substitute the Canon XTi body for $519 for the 40D and a Tamron SP AF

17 - 50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) Standard Zoom Lens for $420 for the

Canon 17-55mm and you are only in for around $1610. Good luck!

Ok, child portrait and PJ $2500.

Save money on the body 30D or XTi (depending on size of hands). Last year's technology is plenty for a beginner. $800

Spend more on a good lens that will last 17-55 2.8IS. $1100.

580EXII Flash $400

50 1.8 $80 Everyone should have this gem of a lens for low light, nice bokeh portraits, backup.

If the goal is child photography, I'm going to stir the pot and suggest the

Canon 1D (original):<ol>

<li>It's still faster focus and fps (almost as fast as kids move) vs. most

prosumer cams</li>

<li>rugged (if knocked over or bumped by curious little hands)</li>

<li>weather sealed (a fighting chance against spilled or flung beverages)</li>

<li>The raw file size is manageable (with kids you need to shoot lots of frame )

with still excellent image quality and wide dynamic range (CCD sensor)

<li>only 1.3x crop factor- get more bang for your wide angle buck, so you can

get right down on the floor and shoot away</li>

<li>The 1D series is incredibly responsive. I dare say even more responsive than

my 5D.</li>

<li>nice models are going for under $1000 now, and your friend can upgrade to a

1D/1DS Mark x later on if the shoe fits.</li>

</ol>

<p>

However, I'm sure this is going to be the least popular suggestion... Flame away.<p>

Oh yeah- don't forget about investing in data storage + backups...

I wouldn't buy a particular thing because I had "$2000-$2500." That is an extremely poor place to begin your shopping decisions.

If I wasn't sure what to get - e.g. I didn't have specific experience that would help me understand how to make choices among the

various options and how they relate to _my_ needs - I would most likely pick up an XTi or perhaps an XTi and the EFS 18-55mm f/2.8

IS kit lens and begin to shoot a lot of photos before spending any additional money. I might well put that remainding $1500 or more away

in a safe place for when I decide what I _really_ needed.

There are no right answers to the question you posed - what should I spend $2000-$2500 on. (I know you asked "what would you"

spend, but I'm taking that as a rhetorical device. What I would buy with $2500 would likely be of little or no utility to you in any case.)

One photographer might be best served by a 40D with a single L zoom. Another with different needs might be better served by an XT

with a set of excellent lenses. Someone else might make out best with a 5D and a single prime. It all depends on what you will need the

equipment to do.

(Your question is sort of like asking, "I have $30,000. What is the best vehicle to buy?" For off-road driving in the desert? For

commuting to work by yourself in the city? For carrying the kids to school and soccer? For getting bales of hay to the "lower forty?")

I will say with virtual certainty that no one who is asking such basic questions should even consider a 1 series body, new (obviously) or

used.

Dan

I honestly have to go with George on this one. Canon sells expensive cameras missing key features (in-camera IS) because of legacy issues. Just a few years ago Canon was the best, and now they are coasting on the brand name. Unless you need an MP-E 65 or some other highly-specialized widget, Pentax is ahead of Canon.

"Pentax is ahead of Canon" - Stephen

<p>I can see the makings of another flame war ;)

<p>But on a more serious (lighter?) note, even though people have made their opinions felt in no uncertain terms, the point is, there are a number of fundamentals that may need clarification before you can get any objective advice. For instance, will she doing commercial work? What's her skill level? On a crop sensor like the D300, the 24-70 might not be wide enough in a confined space. Et cetera et cetera. Do you REALLY want to go for an M8 yourself or was that said in jest? ;) Great camera, but noise-wise outperformed by the D300 at higher ISOs if you plan to use 'em...<a href='http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica-m8.shtml'>M8 review</a>

<p>end of my 3 cents

Durr,

Not sure about the prices but I think this should work:

40D &

17-40 F4 L &

50 F1.8 (or F1.4 when there's money left) &

70-200 F4 IS

I have a 400D and the 70-200 F4 IS and really love shooting pictures of my kids with it. De 50/1.8 for indoors is

great to me. Not for showing everybody your house but for capturing smaller moments and expressions.

I'm in the process of saving for the 17-40 after much comparison of pictures taken with several wide zooms.

(Canon 17-55/2.8, Canon 24-105/4, Tamron 17-50/2.8 are all very good alternatives.)

However, starting with a cheaper rebel and the 18-55 IS kitlens might also be an idea, that way they can learn

the usage of DSLR's and know what they prefer in camera's and lenses in the future.

Regards,

Matthijs.

You're giving your friend a D300 and a 24-70/2.8! You must be a really good friend. I like the gesture, but possible wants for

future lenses are expensive with the Nikon system. With future finances taken into account, the Pentax system is nice. A

K10D with a 50 prime and 16-50/2.8 run around a $1500, with leftover for flash, computer parts, etc. Just because you have

the money, doesn't mean you should spend it, start her off slowly.