What is Exposure Compensation....?

pankaj purohit

Yes John, Now I agree and I got good ideas so far, behind the EV comp.

Now I agree to be more reliable on spots and not go with matrix allways. But now what is the best way we can capture all the details and information, while the brightness is not important... Like in the scene containg a huge landscape or a nature scene.....?

IN landscapes, you could certainly use Matrix metering, as long as you don't have any super bright or super dark spots. Many people use Matrix metering with very good results. I have taken the advise from a book called, " Understanding Exposure " by Bryan Peterson, for lots of shots. I highly recommend it. The idea is that you find the medium tone in a shot, and get the camera to meter for that, then point the camera where you want and fire away. Many times, during daylight hours, you can point the camera straight up and meter off the blue sky. As long as it's a nice medium blue, it works great.

THis picture is NOT as good as the slide, since it's just a "proof" on a CD. But, I used his ideas when I visited Zion National Park, in Utah, and I think they came out pretty good.<div>00PtUr-50629584.JPG.67a0af9be4e6cef79b8e779f0b5f2101.JPG</div>

It a situation like those, you need to decide what you what exposed. as you have a very extreme range of bright and dark. You could try Matrix metering, of course. It will give more emphasis on the central area. The very bright spots are in the central area. Do you want those exposed as the medium bright area or do you want them brighter than that ? If you choose to expose for the bright outdoor light, then the interior will be very dark. If you expose the blue lights as medium, the rest of the porch will be black. In extreme situations, you need to know how the meter " thinks" and adjust your technique accordingly.