True Portrait Lens for Canon 20D and 40D

Since purchasing each of the above cameras, I am still searching for some advice

in relation to the "classic" portrait lens for the cropped image.

In the meantime, I often use my Nikon F100 ( yes film does live) with the Nikkor

80/1.4.

Canon do not , to me at least, seem to have a great interest in making L type

quality prime focals.

I have searched the site before putting up this post and note that it has been

covered in the past.

I own a Canon 100/2.8, However, as a true portrait lens, it's focal length is just too

long for close up e.g. face only shots. I own and have a very, very high regard for

the 135/2L.

However, in 35mm days, 80-90 mm was regarded as the classic true portrait lens.

Even Leica have that truly set in stone.

The 80/1.8 has certainly had excellent reviews. But is it really in the same

category as an L type lens.

As a type of stop gap, I use my 24- 70/2.8 L; superb lens.

However, if I am taking , say face only portraits, I am quite happy to move my feet

a few paces, rather than use a zoom.

Any suggetions, and I don't really regard a 50/1.4 as a "classic" portrait lens, only

brought into the equation by the small sensor operation.

60 macro. Excellent lens close or far, just slow. It will not blow out backgrounds like a 100 2.0 on film.

Get a fuzzier background or learn to use photoshop or make more space between the subject and background or use a zoom that covers 60/70mm.

I bought a 60 2.8 Nikkor for portraits. It gives the proper perspective, just too sharp but photoshop fixes it. The Canon will be very sharp also.

Considering a 5D is but a few thousand, I think that is the best solution.

-- "Canon do not , to me at least, seem to have a great interest in making L type quality prime focals."

Huuuh?

EF 14/2.8L

EF 24/1.4L

EF 35/1.4L

EF 50/1.2L

EF 85/1.2L

EF 135/2L

EF 200/1.8L (discontinued and replaced by the new 200/2L IS)

EF 200/2.8L

and more L's in 300 400 500 and 600mm

A nice set of portrait lenses (for crop 1.6) are 50/1.8 + 85/1.8 or, if you want to spend some more, the 50/1.2L and the 85/1.2L

<i> "Canon do not , to me at least, seem to have a great interest in making L type

quality prime focals. " </i>

<br>

<br>

What a ridiculous statement. Read Rainer's list.

<br>

<br>

<i> "The 80/1.8 has certainly had excellent reviews. But is it really in the same

category as an L type lens. " </i>

<br>

<br>

The only advantages you will get from the 85mm L f/1.2 are build quality and speed. If

you read the reviews on the 85mm L f/1.2 and the 1.8, image quality seem to be on

the same level.

As you mentioned the 50/1.4 becomes a portrait lens on a crop body. You may not want to call it one, but it is. 50mm with a 1.6x crop comes out to 80mm. An 85mm lens ends up coming out as a 136mm equivelent lens, which is a little on the long side for portraits, but certainly usable.

One wouldn't call an 85mm lens a portrait lens on a medium format camera and one generally wouldn't call an 85mm lens a portrait lens on a cropped body, or at least I never would (70-105mm equivelent on any body I would call portrait).

>>anon do not , to me at least, seem to have a great interest in making L type quality prime focals.<<

Not so, read the list above.

>>I have searched the site before putting up this post and note that it has been covered in the past.<<

This has been covered a gazillion times actually - do a search for portrait lens on cropped sensor...

>>in 35mm days, 80-90 mm was regarded as the classic true portrait lens. Even Leica have that truly set in stone<<

Get a 50 f/1.2L and you'll be all set. If budget is an issue, get the 50 f/1.4 or teh 50 f/.18. If you want closer focus, get the 50 f/2.5 MACRO. You have no less than FOUR excellent lenses to choose from.

>>The 80/1.8 has certainly had excellent reviews. But is it really in the same category as an L type lens. <<

YOu can pay several time that price for an 85 f/1.2L II - that's a superb lens for portraits but, again, if you are looking for the callsic 80mm FOV, you must use a 50mm since your cameras have a cropped sensor.

"The 80/1.8 has certainly had excellent reviews. But is it really in the same category as an L type lens."

Short answer: Yes. (85/1.8)

"Any suggetions, and I don't really regard a 50/1.4 as a "classic" portrait lens, only brought into the equation by the small sensor operation."

Hmm... You have 1.6 crop sensor so 50mm is in the classic portrait range. Claiming otherwise is like saying that 180/2.8 is too long for portraits and only brought into the equation by 6x6 film. Well, yes, I don't mind.