Critique a debut (girl's 18th birthday party) I shot over the weekend please

dustin_hatcher

Hello,

Firstly, I would've posted this in the photo critique forum, but it seems that's setup to critique one

specific photo as opposed to an album.

My wife and I were paid to shoot a debut; which for those of you that may not know is a Filipino

traditional birthday party for a girl's coming of age (similar to sweet 16 or quinceanera) (18 years old

to be specific).

I wanted to post here as the event is very similar to shooting a wedding and get critiques on any/all

of it. Please tell me what (if anything) was good and what could use improving.

Thank you all for stopping by and offering any advice. I'm relatively new here and I really

appreciate all the help I've already received.

<A HREF="http://truebeautyphotography.com/Hollys_Debut/">Click Here for Debut Photos</A>

Dustin,

To me, the best shots are the B&Ws; very artistic, spontaneous, un-posed-looking.

I would suggest editing out one of the two shots [of the posed groups] showing the exact same people and making the hard decision as to which of the two is the best and represents your vision. A good photo editor is ruthless.

A few of the shots could benefit from a bit of cropping: portions of windows, walls and floors could be cropped without loss, and with some benefit, to my eye.

You did a very nice job. Keep up the good work!

Sal B.

Noise Ninja is your friend, several of the shots look really pixelated and could look fine with

good noise reduction. Also, use a reflector with your outside group shots to bounce light

back up to the faces and avoid deep eye shadows without using fill flash and flattening the

faces.

Not bad, your details are nice, but watch out for too many formals, edit a bit more, and end

up with only the best of each pose.

Some nice images - lovely colours and imaginitive composition. Don't be afraid to lift the midtones a little more in your outside group shots (page 1) and your long table shot needed a greater DoF on page 3 - a pity for the girl at the end to be the only one significantly out of focus and also clearly in view. Also that page - the cake decoration doesn't have enough DoF either, as is the case with the very last photo with the rose.

Remember that when you are shooting an inanimate object, a tripod and long shutter speed are your best friends and will enable you to achieve an image which is sharp front to back - I think many folk stick with f2.8 and forget that other options are sometimes available!

How will the guests order photos since the pics don't seem to be numbered? Or have I missed something here?

Thanks guys for the comment :)

Kenzi: I tried using the noise reduction in Aperture but yeh, it doesn't work that well

heh :) Hopefully will be upgrading to some cameras soon that offer a little better low

light performance that I may not have to worry about noise as much. With the

reflector idea will one reflector work for that (I'm thinking at least a few would be

needed)?

Jo: How right you are, I think we probably shot that in F/2.8 just forgetting we

could've bumped up the aperture. The guests won't be ordering photos. It was a

package deal for the Mom & Dad who pre-paid. This is just their link to view the

photos. They also received a DVD with the images and we're giving them a

mounted 8x10 as a gift (was not included with the package).

Usually you can use two large reflectors to bounce enough, most especially the party girl, or B&G as the case may be. Fill flash would help too.

Regarding, prints - there are often good amounts of money to be made on the back end with orders. Print event cards that showcase where and

how the guests can view the prints, and a shopping cart so they can order what they want directly. I usually make an extra $1000 off each wedding

at least from guest orders. If you are really going to make a go of this, you need to consider all your income options, and make your product

accessible to the whole slew of consumers you are meeting.

Noise ninja is for Photoshop. Aperture is fine to scull and process, but you should be using Photoshop to tweak your best images, reduce noise

where needed, and lift lighting correctly.

Exposure is a but all over the board on the group shots. Learn to meter for the background and fill accordingly if necessary (multiple flash). Some are underexposed for the subjects and the sky is blown, some indoor shots are overexposed? Still life shots looked great. Watch out for the 'bullseye' effect on couple's shots, meaning faces are center of frame; however, upper half of frame is dead space and the feet are cut off. Focus and recompose or change your AF selection from the center. Overall, good job though. You captured everyone having fun!