Sensor emergency!

jasna_hodzic

I got a Canon40D about 2 weeks ago and I love it. However, I have a BIG problem.

I don't know how this could have happened, but randomally there is aLOT of dust,

hair, and smudges all over my sensor. I have no idea how this happened as I

always change my lenses when it's off, and the amount of it is just unbelievable. I

put it to manual clean just to look at it, and there is a huge smudge on it. I really

don't know if this is a scartch or what, but I am freaking out.

I am also not a novice. I did not even expose my sensor up to this point.

Here are some sample pics. This was definitely not here before.

is it completley useless now? I am planning on taking it to a local camera place,

but I am REALLY scared.

http://i27.tinypic.com/301hnyu.jpg

That is a lot of junk on your sensor, but remember it's not really the sensor, just a glass plate over the sensor. Take a deep breath, get a wet clean process, I use Copperhill, and clean it according to their instructions, even if you have to do it several times. I had a smudge on a 5D sensor that required a half a dozen swabs and was no worse for the wear. It's really not a big deal, which you'll realize after you've done one for the first time.

AFA sending it out to be cleaned, I read about too many people sending their cameras off to have the sensor cleaned and getting them back no better than before, especially from some local shop. This isn't going to be the last time you're gonna get crap on your sensor, you might as well learn to do it yourself. Good luck.

Hi Jasna,

That's a lot of gunk on your sensor, I doubt whether you can get it off without some wet cleaning method. Don't panic, as mentioned before it's just a glass plate that needs cleaning. I guess it's about the same as my 5D once was. Probably some oil from the shutter or mirror mechanism.

I don't know where you live but in the Netherlands Canon will clean your sensor for free once during the first 6 months after purchase. It that is not the case in your situation: take it to a shop or clean it yourself.

According to the EXIF information the pictures you attached were taken at f/32. At that aparture some dust will always be visible. I leave it to you when to clean the sensor, my practice is to take a picture of the sky or of a white paper at f/22 and f/13. f/22 gives me an indication about the amount of dust, I only come into action if I see dust at f/13. Why? At apertures smaller than f/13 or so diffraction comes into play. This doesn't make your pictures better, on the contrary. I try to avoid these smaller apertures anyhow. And if I need to take a picture at such a small opening and dust appears there's always the possibility of removing the spots during post processing.

Hope this helps.

I also vote for a deep breath, then getting a static-brush (ex. Visible Dust Sensor Brush) and a wet cleaning kit (ex. Copperhill), and clean it yourself.

Yes, it's traumatic the first couple of times, but it's pretty safe if you follow the instructions and take it easy.

Looking at you posted photo, I don't _think_ there's anything but dust on there, so I would bet that a couple of passes with a static-brush would take care off everything. There are a couple of spots that _might_ be oil or something like that, but my experience is there's very little that won't come off with careful cleaning.

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but when I got my 20D a few years ago I inadvertently (stupidly!) transfered some oil from the chamber to the sensor/filter with my brush during the first cleaning (like a week after I got it!). But it all came off with a few PEC-Pads and Eclipse...

In the upper left quarter of your image, the fainter shapes look like the lines in a finger

print. How it got there is another question. If you bought the camera new only two

weeks ago, it would definitely be a good idea to make use of the free cleaning by a

Canon service center to give you a fresh new start.

Canon Europa N.V.

Bovenkerkerweg 59-61

1185 XB Amstelveen

Netherlands

I personally use the VisibleDust sensor loupe to see where there is dust, then use a

bulb blower or a VisibleDust Artic Butterfly brush to gently lift it off the sensor, and while

I am at it, remove any dust from the mirror as well. Taking the trouble to do this

periodically, I haven't had to do a wet cleaning for over a year.

To help avoid getting dust in there in the first place, when changing lenses check that

there is no dust on the rear element of the lens you are about to mount. When

removing or mounting a lens, hold the camera with the open lens mount tilted down so

that no debris from clothing or hair can fall in there. If you are outside and it is windy,

either seek shelter from the wind or at least turn your back to it while changing lenses.

When you come back from shooting where you have changed lenses a lot, take the

lens off holding the camera tilted downward and check whether there is any dust on the

mirror. The sensor loupe is very good for this. If you see any dust, puff it off gently with

the blower, never your breath.

There is a chain of events that generally lead to dust getting on the sensor. Dust in the

air or dust on the rear element of a lens that then transfers to the mirror. The mirror

goes flap-flap when you shoot, wafting the dust on the sensor when the shutter curtain

opens and shuts. The more direct way is to open the chamber with the Sensor

Cleaning manual function, turn the chamber facing up and peer in there while

scratching your head or beard. That'll work every time.

You don't have to be a fanatic to keep the sensor clean, just reasonably disciplined and

aware of what you do to avoid it getting in there.

Jasna, for THAT MUCH junk to be on your sensor, I would expect a whole lot more junk to be in the mirror chamber. Can you see it? If not, then I would expect the junk originated somehow from behind the shutter. If there's no obvious way this could have happened (e.g. children, mischievous roommates, people who hate you, etc.), then I would wonder about some sort of malfunction or manufacturing defect. For instance, this looks like dust, hair, debris, etc., but could it also be streams of light machine oil, with occasional globs of debris stuck to them? Apparently these shutters do throw a bit of oil. If you're suffering from excessive oil slinging, that should be a warranty issue. I'm just speculating, but I think I would consider the possibility. If it's machine oil (and that much of it), then it will probably need a technician to mop up the excesses.

Personally I would phone canon, explain its new, hardly used and what will they do. Recently there was a batch of 1ds3`s (bout 1 dOZ)in a store here, they were filthy inside, so much so a canon rep took them to service dept himself. :)

Thanks for all the help guys!

I'm still a little bit scared that something besides dust got in there.

And I'm also a little confused. Even when you expose the sensor to do manual cleaning, there is still a glass plate over it?

Do you guys think it's scratched?

Yes there are seveal layers of glass permanently fused to the sensor. There is an Infra Red filter, an anti aliasing filter and a plain glass protective filter. All are made of some sort of glass and all are glued over the top of your sensor in layers. So, it's impossible to come into contact directly with the sensor unless you attempt to remove these glass peices. However, if you scratch the outermost glass, you still get a permanent blotch on your images. The point is don't be afraid of cleaning it, we all do it. But do be careful. Don't assume that just because someone sells a product meant for cleaning a sensor that it is safe. Be very careful with wet solutions. You don't want a lot of liquid getting in there. A dampened swab with appropriate solution is a strong measure of last resort. Start with an air blower, then a dry swab and lastly a dampened swab. Read reviews on various cleaning products before using one. You can do it. It looks to me like you just got one giant size cat fur ball in there last time you swapped lenses.

Excellent advice from John:

"I personally use the VisibleDust sensor loupe to see where there is dust, then use a bulb blower or a VisibleDust Artic Butterfly brush to gently lift it off the sensor, and while I am at it, remove any dust from the mirror as well. Taking the trouble to do this periodically, I haven't had to do a wet cleaning for over a year."

VisibleDust products are my preferred way to clean the sensor.

Jasna, yes, that's a serious mess in there, and that is why I say take it to Canon. Here are two possibilities in the Netherlands:

Digital Service Point

Hulsenweg 4

6031 SP Nederweert

Tel: +31 (0) 495 622 621

E-mail: info@dsp-bv.com

Electronic Trading Benelux - After Sales Services B.V.

Gewenten 43

4704 RE Roosendaal

Tel: +31 (0) 165 850500

Fax: +31 (0) 165 850599

E-mail: etb@etbass.nl

Web: http://www.etbass.nl

Bob, I wouldn't use a dry swab. My gut feel is that this may be more prone to causing scratches on the filter, as opposed to a damp swab. Generally, I would suggest bit of work with a blower followed by Eclipse fluid and pec-pads, without substituting either of thise for something "similar". But in this situation I would certainly follow the advice given above and return the camera to Canon for a clean as it is in a right state.