Buying lighting equipment from ebay

sarahbeth1

I am an amatuer photographer looking to try my hand at studio work. I don't know

anything about lighting manufacturers and wanted to purchase a studio light kit

that is "all in one." I looked on ebay and found that they have some kits

manufactured by Still Shot 2. Is this a good company? Does anyone have

information on the products quality

The main lesson on this subject: inexpensive kits as usually found on eBay are wildly inferior, generally frustrating, and ultimately a very poor use of the money you spend (since you will, inevitably - even as an amateur - end up spending it all over again anyway).

<br><br>

There's absolutely nothing wrong with picking up individual pieces of what you need as you learn. If you are looking to start to modify light to suit your purposes, consider getting a single decent strobe, stand, softbox or umbrella, and a 48" or so reflector (with stand, ideally). That will keep you busy and learning for a long time. What camera are you using? What's your budget? What's your studio environment like, size-wise? Any thoughts about what you'll be initially shooting (people? table-top products? groups? babies? etc)?

<br><br>

Consider starting with something <a href="http://www.alienbees.com/beginner.html" target="_blank"><b>like the Beginner Bee package</b></a> from AlienBees.com, and perhaps supplement it with something like <a href="http://www.laurphoto.com/prdr/westcott_reflector_kit" target="_blank"><b>this Westcott reflector kit</b></a>. You can add a second strobe, background support, etc., as you get the hang of it and put more money together. You will be very glad to buy lighting gear from a company you'll actually be able to talk to about replacement parts, and which doesn't involve warranty service in China. Have fun!

Matt, Thank you for your response. I didn't think it would be a good idea to buy

from ebay. I have a budget of $500.00 to start. I really don't want to start with

inferior products but want to get the most for my money. I have a spare room that

is around 8' by 12'. I'm thinking of starting with Still Life Photography to really

learn the concepts of composing a shot and studying lighting effects. I'm afraid

that I don't have the patience to learn and direct people at the same time. I have a

Cannon Rebel XT and a 30D. Can you name off a few companies that I should

look into using. I want reliability, tech support, and ease of use. Thanks again for

your suggestions and I'll definately take a look at them.

Well, Sarah, I named it above, and I'll stick with the recommendation: <a href="http://www.alienbees.com/" target="_blank"><b>Alien Bees</b></a>. Do a little searching, and you'll see they have a sterling reputation on support and service, they have a good line of modestly priced strobes and light stands/modifiers, and you can grow such a system over time.

<br><br>

Since you are in learning curve mode, I'd truly consider a single strobe, and probably a softbox instead of an umbrella. Learn to master a single light source first, and work with a reflector to help fill shadows. You'll be much better off with one good light and some modifiers, to start, than you will be with a "kit" of cheesy equipment that has no power and won't hold up. Still shots in a studio setting are an excellent way to get your head around things. People will follow!

I have been very successful at purchasing two complete studio flash kits off of eBay. I won (2) complete Novatron 240 studio flash kits with a total of 4 flash heads, 4 stands, 4 umbrellas, and a Novatron flash meter that an eBay seller threw in as an extra. All the equipment is used and operating just fine. My total expenditure was $500.00 and I'm very happy with my purchase and eBay experience. :-)