Shutter Speed Question

sheila_whitfield

I have a K100D digital and I just purchased a Sigma 24-135 F2.8-4.5. I find that I

can only adjust my shutter speed when I have the flash off. If I try with the flash

on whether it be on camera or my Pentax 360 it still will only allow me to set my

shutter speed up to 1/180 of a sec. Any ideas why this happens? Also I noticed

that I can only set my aperature down to 2.8 at the 24mm setting. I am doing a

wedding in a few weeks and want to use this lens, any comments on this issue

would be most helpful. Thanks, Sheila

for flash sync speed, your shutter can't go any higher than 180th of a second. It

won't happen (unless you have a flash that support high-speed sync, but we're not

going there.)

On the aperture... 2.8 is AS WIDE AS IT GOES!!! How are you expecting it to get

any wider open when you know it's an f2.8 - 4.5???

As to the wedding - as a person who dreads watching a wedding photog producing

poor results, cause they just don't "get" something (like, why NOT to use your flash

on-camera).... um, why are you shooting a wedding w/ equipment you're not used to

and don't understand yet? (I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm not sure any other way

to say that)

Maria speaks the truth, but I understand your predicament. Being not in the position of a hired pro, but rather a wedding guest and bystander, it may be necessary from where your seating restricts you, and lack of flash setup, to use your AF 360 on board, in which case, try to use bounce if the ceiling is rather low. A ceiling spot well in front of subjects. Also, pull out the built-in reflector if fairly close. If not workable, having to use direct flash, at least tone it down some using the flash comp control, say -1 EV or so. Pay attention to flash distance readout. Try higher ISO and no flash. Attend rehearsals for practice.

Outdoors, direct flash is ok, and thus using fill flash a good idea. If moving outside from indoors, cancel your flash comp.

You don't need a flash shutter speed greater than 1/180 sec unless the wedding includes a tumbling act. You're not shooting sports action in a well-lit arena. More like 1/30 to 1/60 sec indoor flash sync to also capture ambient light, yet enough to counter slight movement in that light. ISO 400 may be a good bet.

Outside, just auto program P mode with fill flash should do.

Maria,

I have been shooting weddings for 4 years and do very well at it. My question was more about adjusting my aperature at 24mm to 2.8 and not being able to adjust it at 2.8 for any other focal length (i.e., 2.8 at 50mm etc.). I have been shooting with fixed lenses with the exception of my Sigma telephoto which goes up to 300mm - range is 4 - 5.6. I would never attempt to take it down to 2.8 because I know it won' t go there. I was more looking for information from anyone who has used a Sigma 24 - 135 2.8-4.5. I have a pentax 50-135 2.8 which works well, but the one I am discussing here is one I was going to try. And FYI, I don't and never have used any equipment I am not familiar with for weddings or any other photograhphy events.

Trying to answer your questions directly:

<OL>

<LI>You can exceed the 1/180 limit only when using the high-speed-sync mode on your AF-360FGZ. You'll probably find yourself using 'M' or 'Tv' modes to do it. I imagine that as others have mentioned you probably won't need this speed indoors but you may want it for fill flash outdoors.

<LI>Your lens is specified as max aperture of f/2.8-4.5; most variable aperture zoom lenses like this are fastest at wide angles and slower at the longer end of the focal length range. Generally the max (in your case f/2.8) is only good for the very widest part of the range. Your lens is reasonably fast for a 5.5x zoom--generally speaking constant f/2.8 zooms are more restricted in focal length range (like 3-3.5x--i.e. 16-50 or 24-70) and are generally more costly, and bulkier/heavier.

</OL>

<P>Good luck--hopefully you'll be able to practice a lot before the wedding to increase your confidence and comfort level with your new equipment (particularly if you are the primary photographer).

Shiela, as Andrew says. The sigma 24-135mm is a variable-aperture zoom lens, which is the most common type, but since you have used mostly fixed lenses, you are evidently not familiar with its properties. The lens wide open can get down to f/2.8 at its wide end, but wide open gradually becomes f/4.5 when zooming to its long focal length.

Mike,

If I'm reading this correctly shiela cannot get it to 2.8 at 24mm.

My advice would be to set the camera to manual and also check your custom settings for manual.

Getting used to shooting in manual is really the way to go with a 2 wheeled camera. And it lends itself to the least amount of tug of war with the camera IMO.

okidoki - I feel like i threw an insult and ran (ok, we did. This is my first access in

28hrs, talk about withdrawl...)

Sheila: Sorry about assuming you're a newbie. Congrats on having a good

business! After years & years of shooting cheap to free, we're finally advertising

pros ourselves. (a thread on the "HUH?!??!"'s that we've seen would be huge)

As for the lens, yeah, that is the disappointment of zooms (also apologies for

reading that wrong, then). The widest aperture is only good for the shortest focal

length. Drives me nuts, and means I can't shoot weddings w/ our super zoom.

And now I'm being drug out of the restaraunt, so I'm about to lose internet for 3 or 4

days..... *SIGH*

Don't feel so badly about your misunderstanding Maria, I read the same thing you did. It wasn't until I read her response that I understood her dilemma completely. I hate that about zooms...

Sheila, I hope you got this figured out and that you have good luck with your wedding shooting! Would love to see some of your work!

Lisa