Inexpensive Manual SLR

jakegagne

Batteries won't be an issue with the FM2, FM2N or F3. All use commonly available silver oxide button cells. If you add the motor drives they use AA batteries.

Size 675 zinc air button cell hearing aid batteries are a reasonable substitute for the old 625 mercury buttons. Output and discharge characteristics are very comparable, making them suitable even for accurate metering with slow slide film. The zinc air batteries won't last long, usually only 2-6 months after the air vents are exposed by peeling off the tape, but they're cheap. Stick with the ordinary hearing aid buttons - you can buy a pack of 6 or more for the price of a single overpriced Wein equivalent, which is nothing more than a zinc air battery fitted into a metal collar to equal the size, shape and polarity of a 625 button. Wein would be better off selling just the empty collars for reuse with generic 675 hearing aid batteries.

A short answer from me:

- Practically ALL manual film SLR's are cheap now!

- Having basic automation at hand when you need it is very nice to have. I am thinking: [A] aperture priority exposure automation. Like what a F3 has to offer. And the FE2, FA, FM3a.. It is the fastest way of working with such a camera (for me), with a good amount of control over the exposure. When more consistent lighting is required, [M] works fine and mechanical functioning can be an advantage with extreme long exposures and/or very cold weather.

Choose wisely! ;-)

But at these prices, don't be afraid too much.

Albin

Does it HAVE to be a Nikon??

I mean there are plenty of excellent film slrs out there that will give you just as good results for less money,,Have a look at afew of the yashicas on e-bay you could pick up an fx-d or an fr1 for fairly cheap and still have plenty left over to get a couple of lenses,for 250 dollars you could get a body a 28mm wide angle a 30-70 zoom and a 80-210 and still have enough change for a roll of film......

Steve

Jake,

as you said that you wanted a film slr I understand that it doesn't have to be a

manual one. One option that not has been mentioned here is the N80/F80. It's

reasonably rugged, can handle the newer AF-S and G lenses an could be found for

around 150 to 200$. Contrary to the F70/N70 it doesn't do funny things with its

meter. It also doesn't have the programmed settings like portrait, landscape....

Just plain simple Manual, Aperture priority, shutter priority and program.

As for "off" brands, they are fine, but with how little Nikon and Canon pro bodies go for, IMO there is no point in getting anything other than a Nikon or Canon. This is because they have the most complete systems, however. If you doubt you need a whole system, anything will do. Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, etc. are all good.

They are brands with far less system-wise than Canon or Nikon. That was my only point. "Off" brand doesn't mean "bad". It was, of course a bit of an exaggerated term, but I put it in quotations in order to show that! I only meant it to mean brands other than the big two. Relax. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go read the Onion...