Locations to take firework photos on 4th of July in NYC

jacksonphotos

I'm returning from business and just happen to have a layover on July 3 in NYC.

I've thought about making it a 2-3 day layover so that I could take pictures of the

incredible firework show and parades I've heard so much about on the 4th of July in

NYC.

In that I will have very little time to scout for a location due to a late flight & arrival

on July 3, any suggestions for an ideal location to take "fireworks with skyline"

photos would be very much appreciated. Staying in safer areas would be best.

Thank you in advance for sharing your suggestions!

Regards,

J

Great view from 23rd Street and the East River, but folks head out there 4-5 hours ahead of start time to get prime spots. Expect the crowd to also move slowly getting out at the end, because of its size.

For money, you can rent a hotel room with a view of the fireworks and shoot out the window or roof terrace (if they have one). We did this one year (a decade ago) at the UN Plaza Hotel, so you might try asking there first.

The best option would be if you know anyone whose office or apartment windows or roof overlooks the east river and they will let you view from their place -- those folks are always very popular on July 4th!

Josh

If you want pics of the typical NY skyline, (from NJ side) then Liberty State park is your best bet. You can take a NY Water Taxi to it

Or look for a boat in the harbor.

But the main show is in the East river. Probably your best view is from the Brooklyn Promenade or a boat in the East river. You will get the skyline and probably a good view of the harbor.

There are 100's of boats on both sides on the water for the show. They can be pricey but you will have pretty good security and a bathroom.

Roosevelt Island sounds like a good alternative. You can take the tram or subway there, have smaller crowds, a seat and probably security and bathrooms.

The FDR drive will be a madhouse. While the crowds at events like this in NY are pretty friendly....you will probably have people bumping into you at the wrong moment and you will always be worried about damage or theft of your equipment.

I second the suggestion of Roosevelt Island (in the East River beneath the Queensboro Bridge). That way you can get the fireworks and the Manhattan Skyline. You can take the subway (the F train) or the tram (from 2nd Ave. and 61st Street in Manhattan). If you drive, get there before 5:00 p.m., which is when they usually close the bridge from Queens to RI on July 4. RI is a very pleasant, safe environment.

Another possibility: I believe there is a pedestrian walk-way on the Queensboro Bridge. I haven't tried it, but it should be a good vantage point for the fireworks and the skyline. You would want to be on the south (downtown) side of the bridge.

Bill Rich