Advise me how to approach this situation - new to weddings

alisa_stieg

Disclaimer: I am a very amateur photographer. My experience (limited) is in

portraiture.

I got a new lens for my camera and took it to school the other day to "get to know

it" and one of my fellow teachers approached me about photographing her

wedding. I told her weddings terrified me and it was not a situation I had

experience with...a LOT of pressure! But she assured me that up to that point,

they hadn't even planned on a photographer and were planning on relying on the

shots taken by their guests. She offered to pay me (I have no idea what is

reasonable here considering my complete lack of experience).

At this point, I'm approaching this as an amazing opportunity to grow my skills as

a photographer, but I have no idea how to even begin. As laid back as she is in

her attitude about the photographs, I want whatever I do to be high quality. I don't

let anything go out the door with my name attached to it that I wouldn't put on the

walls myself (and I spend a lot of time doing pp to make it as perfect as possible).

Here is my gear:

Pentax K100D

Tamron 18-250mm lens

Tamron 70-300 lens

Pentax DA 18-55mm lens

Pentax F 50mm (1:1.7)

I also have various on-camera flashes and a Gary Fong Light Sphere as well as a

studio light set-up (which I would like to NOT take at all).

Soooo, here's my question; What should I shoot with? I'm thinking the 50mm,

but a zoom would be nice so I don't have to be obtrusive during the ceremony.

What kind of shots do I take? Even though these won't be near the quality of

someone with more experience, I would like to have an idea of the moments I

should be looking to capture.

Those of you with experience, if you would be willing to share mistakes you made

in your early wedding endeavors that I should avoid, I would be forever in your

debt. I'm sure I will be making plenty of my own, I'm sure! Mistakes are the best

teachers, however, I'd like to avoid as many as possible considering there are no

do-overs at a wedding.

Incidently, this is a second marriage for both individuals, which is why they are so

laid back about the "fluff" of the event. Personally, I think no matter what,

capturing the day is a special thing and I want to give it my best shot.

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa,

First step is to go thru the newbie section of this forum. Lot's of good advice. You've got one picture in your portfolio. Had to judge your skill level from that one shot, albeit a nice one.

I'm not familiar with your gear (I'm a Nikon shooter) but your most effective lens would be a wide to slight telephoto lens that is fast. In Nikon world that would be the 17-55 f2.8 for DX sensors and 24-70 f2.8 for FX sensors. A fast 50mm is good too. You could shoot the entire wedding with that single zoom.

You need lots of back-up gear and need to learn how to use your flash (planetneil.com). The key to good shots, IMO, is anticipating and capturing emotion. My style is documentary so I figure that's what I'm paid to do. If your style is posed or fashion, your out of my element and I can't help you. But my goal it that my images should bring out tears (of joy) from the participants.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the advice on the lens. I probably should inquire on the Pentax forum as well. I agree with you about your goal...I am used to doing posing, but honestly, I like the more candid shots than anything else. I don't have a lot of samples in my gallery, but I post them within my threads, so that may give you a hint of my ability so far.

I'm going through the newbie threads right now...and yes, there's a lot of good info. I'm glad I have several weeks to research and practice this....it will take me that long to figure things out! LOL!

Lisa

I'd probably take the 18-55mm, 50mm and the 70-300mm in case the ceremony is in a church and you will be restricted in movement. Bring the 18-250mm but leave it in the car for backup. Definitely bring and use the flash--up to you about the Lightshere. As Paul suggested, read the planetneil article. Bring backup (this is a must) of some kind, plenty of extra camera and flash batteries and memory cards. You'll may need a tripod if the ceremony is in a church.

I will repeat what I always suggest to new wedding photographers. When in doubt, use Program. I don't know how the Pentax system works when using aperture priority, but the downfall with this in some systems is it will set too slow a shutter speed indoors or in dim light, and you will end up with blurry images, even with flash. Many intermediate and advanced amateurs love to use aperture priority all day long. It can be fine outdoors where there is lots of light, but not necessarily indoors. Always use the equivalent of One Shot autofocusing--not the Servo mode unless you are outside in brighter light. Learn how to compensate your flash. Shoot RAW. Use ISO 100 outside in brighter light, and ISO 400 or 800 inside.

The thing about shooting a wedding, particularly for the first time, and especially if you are used to more controlled shooting--you will not have time to think before actually having to react/shoot. That is why I recommend using Program.

As for what to shoot, you can do some research on that in the older threads. Plus, since your bride and groom know you aren't a professional wedding photographer, I would not be uptight about this. I think the basic shots are intuitive and obvious. You should leave a little room for letting your own personality and style to come through. I have seen some talented beginning wedding photographers with great and different ways of looking at things. Then when they shoot more and progress, I see some of that freshness go away under the expectations and pressure of being a professional having to get certain shots...

Lisa -

Shoot w/ the 50. It's the fastest lens you have. You can shoot w/ & w/o flash in a

lower ISO (you know how I hate going over 560). Last night's wedding was shot w/

my lens entirely at 50. Would I have liked closer, like 75 or 100? Yup, but I like to

shoot hands only during the ceremony & very close stuff. That's my style. The 50

will let you get a couple wide shots from the back, then just get up to the 3rd or 4th

row for close stuff. If you're moving around & not popping your flash, nobody'll

notice you (and I like to use flash, but I'm shooting a lot more w/ primes & natural

light lately).

TAKE YOUR STUDIO LIGHTS - I hate lugging our light kit around, too (heavy), but

dang it, we get GOOD group photos. No, don't use em during the ceremony

(although we have, before). Use em to get group photos, and I know you can use

those lights and pose people. The studio lights will help ensure that you can see all

the faces, and when you get em high, you won't be casting shadows on the wall.

Unless all groups are under 5 people, the Fong Bong & 1 flash just doesn't cut it for

us (remember, matt's all OCD about light & shadows).

Shoot for free - what the heck, it's new to you, right? :-D If you're uncomfy because this is new,

and you don't know what to charge, shoot a few for free & use em for experience.

I see two major issues which require attention:

1. You need to have a back up body.

Another Pentax would be good, borrow / rent one if you can: you could consider

doing the job pro bono, plus expenses, bring the rent cost neutral.

2. You are used to a controlled shooting environment (portraiture) and you are

attacking a very uncontrolled situation.

Though there are consistent general items on the Wedding agenda, you will have

little control over the timing of them: and you should apply your energies to

planning the shots, keeping up with the flow and being in the right spot at the right

time.

So you should not, IMO be thinking huge quantities of equipment, fancy lens

changes and special lighting effects . . . etc.

Therefore I advise: KIS, (Keep it simple).

I suggest that the two lenses most professional Wedding Photographers would

use from your choice would be the 18 to 55 and the 50, and in that order.

The 50mm on that Pentax body gives a FoV equivalent to a 75mm lens on

traditional 135 format.

That is just TOO long to expect to be used exclusively, all day at a Wedding.

I personally am not fussed either way on the use of the 70 to 300 (for long shots),

especially considering the emphasis your client is placing on `laid back`: BUT if

you see the need for a long shot, in Available Light and you take this lens: take a

Tripod too.

I advise NOT taking studio lights, carrying, setting up and pulling down will eat into

your thinking time, and more importantly, your shooting time.

Good formal can be got with one flash head and using the Sunlight as a backlight /

hairlight and daylight Flash Fill: therefore you do need on camera flash, plenty of

batteries for it and you do need to know how to Flash Fill, in daylight.

There are many threads on all these topics, use the search function and read

them.

Bottom line:

A second camera body. and

Keep it simple.

Put the energy into being there to take the shot.

Shoot programme mode, (P), predominately, unless you are quite sure of

controlling any other mode. P is available on this camera, I understand.

Shoot RAW + JPEG (if available) or RAW only.

Use AWB (Auto White Balance), correct the RAW in post if necessary.

Take TWICE as many batteries (Camera and Flash) and memory cards you think

you will need, ( I think the K100D uses AA bats, so that vis an advantage?)

WW

Howdy!

Studio lights are wonderful, and can make a huge difference in the quality of

the formals, but only if:

- You know how to use them.

- You have the time to use them properly.

- You're indoors, there's no wind, or you're not using large modifiers.

It helps immensely if the B&G are willing to do all the formals ahead of time.

I keep it simple by bringing only one studio light and a large beauty dish

diffuser.

This last Saturday, I was in a room with an white angled ceiling, so I just

pointed the studio light at the ceiling (no diffuser) and bounced the light all

over the place. This has the same effect as opening up a huge skylight in the

ceiling. I was able to shoot at ISO 100, f/5.6 with no problem, and the pictures

turned out great.

You can use the same trick for the reception if you have Pocket Wizards or other

reliable radio triggers, but be sure to sandbag at least one leg of the flash

stand.

When I can't bounce, I place the studio light with the beauty dish directly

above my camera about eight feet off the ground, and just slightly to one side,

pointed down at the subjects. You can do the same thing with an umbrella.

Later,

Paulsky

You've been given some great advice above.

Having backup equipment is very important if for nothing else than peace of mind. Take as much pressure off of yourself as possible. Getting rid of the distractions is key to getting into a good groove. Once you're in that groove it's hard to go wrong.

If the couple is having a rehersal it would be good to attend if you can. It will help you get a feel for the lighting and location so you can plan ahead. You can also setup the whitebalance during the rehersal if you know the lighting will be the same. Then that's one less thing to worry about.

The great thing about digital is you can be totally confident that you are getting the results you want. Don't just look at the small thumbnail though. Use your histogram and blinking highlights to their fullest potential and zoom in on your shots to check for critical sharpness. It can be a terrible feeling when you think you nailed the shot and then when you look at it on the computer see that you were pretty far off.

Don't beat yourself up if you miss a shot. You should get the idea of "no do-overs" out of year head. If you think that and you miss something then you'll be thinking about your mistake in the past rather than thinking about the potential shots in the future. It is OK to ask the couple to restage a shot during a down time. If it's an important shot to them then they should be very agreeable. If it's not important then you'll know it's not a big deal to them. Either way you can move on. You might miss the emotion of the moment but if the couple really wanted that honestly they wouldn't be looking for such an inexperienced photographer. The worst you could do is meet their expectations and the best you could do is really impress them.

Thank you, ALL of you, for your excellent advice! I'm very excited about this new experience. I think I've decided that I will shoot for free, but I'd like my expenses covered, ie gas, hotel (if I have to stay overnight, because this is in another town a couple of hours away and I don't know if they want me to shoot the rehearsal or not), etc. That's the only way I'll really be comfortable with this situation. Even with very limited experience, they will walk away with SOME nice looking photos! My strategy is to shoot a LOT of photos because there is alway something to work with! Like William said though, I am used to a very controlled situation and I won't have that luxury this time. This is the area I'm not so great at...

Brett, you sort of hit the nail on the head...

"The worst you could do is meet their expectations and the best you could do is really impress them."

That is what I keep telling myself and it's what gives me courage to attempt this.

"You might miss the emotion of the moment..."

That is my greatest fear...there is NOTHING that can take the place of the magic of the moment. I think that is what MAKES the photograph. IMO, a good photographer captures the essence of the person. It is the difference between a nice photo and an amazing photo. Can you tell I put a lot of pressure on myself?

I think they'll probably be happy either way, but I want to be happy too! That's why I need your advice! THANKS!

Lisa

> Can you tell I put a lot of pressure on myself? <

The adrenaline that provides is your friend: provided it is focussed and provided you have a plan.

Plot it all out in your head, it won`t go exactly to the plan, but plotting it out in advance is as important as an Olympic Swimmer, swimming the race over and over beforehand and, `seeing the wall first`.

To that end stick your nose into as many Weddings as you can and observe: observation cost you nothing, other than your time.

From that observation and a few conversations with the B&G apropos their specific wants, logistics and Order of Service . . . you will develop your plan, and you will feel more comfortable, because it will be more controlled in your mind.

Then, because you have a plan of the shots; and a plan of the flow of the day; your adrenaline on the day will be used to take the shots.

You will be thinking less about WHAT to do and more about WHERE to be ahead of time, to do it.

the previous, not flippantly written, by any means . . .

Good luck

WW