Rangefinder Adjustment on Contax T

sdifaz

Hi everyone,

I have aquired a Contax T and whilst everything seems to work just fine the

rangefinder is out of vertical alignment. Does anybody have any advice for

adjustment? Is it something that can be attempted at home or should it be sent

away. Any ideas where in the U.K. I could send it?

Thanks in advance!

Its been some time since the last of my T's but as far as I remember, taking the top off is not a problem. There is a screw on the right to the finder in a diagonal position, not easily reached.

Under the advance lever you have a small cover, taking it off will enable you to get a 00 screwdriver straight to the adjustment screw, in a diagonal direction under other internal stuff..

If I remember correctly taking the top off will let you see the path the screwdriver goes, after you learn that, you can do it without taking it off.

Diego,

Wow what a proceedure! Once I found a very good light source your instructions were perfect! It was a little tricky re-fitting the top but after a few practise attempts it slotted straight back together with everything lining up as it should. The screw would be tough to find without first knowing the path to it hence removal of the top is quite necessary. The rangefinder is now spot on and I am using the camera!

Thank You for your advice!

Regards

Simon

• 14 years later...

Re: Contax T rangefinder VERTICAL adjustment: I was unable to locate the described screw head after removing the top plate and the port plug beneath the film advance lever so my vertical is still slightly off but here are some other, hopefully helpful, observations:

There are 3 screws securing the top. Work on a white cloth surface at first if possible to keep loosened screws from getting away.

Once the top is off and the adjusting port plug is removed, mounting the camera on a tripod frees a hand - otherwise you’ll need three! Focus on some distant object having both distinct horizontal AND vertical lines. Adjust.

Buttoning up the top is best done by turning the top shell upside and lowering the body onto it. (also upside down disassembly helps you keep parts from spilling out). That will allow you to place and retain the shutter button, delay switch and +1.5 exposure button - all having “shoulders” to block their rapid exit by gravitation if they are placed but the top is then turned right side up to mount to the body..

Keep an eye on the tiny post mounted spring just front and favoring left side of the film shot counter lcd. If it’s loose, a tiny drop of CA glue (tiny drop!) will keep it in place. I’m uncertain it’s function but it appears to form a ground, perhaps for the counter.

Careful when you replace the plug behind the film advance lever! It can easily slip through the opening and then you’re stuck reopening the top to retrieve the little plug feller!