opened camera back -- is the film usable?

Well, I loaded my film into my Yashica FX-3 camera a couple of days ago... and

then I completely forgot that I had already done it, and went to load my film

again today. Of course I shut the camera back as soon as I saw there was film

in it, but I'm just wondering if it's safe to shoot with this roll of film? I

hadn't shot any photos yet; if I just advance the film for a few frames, will it

be okay?

Thanks for the help!

I would suggest advancing it three complete frames (i.e. don't wind off two and then use the third) and then you should be fine from that point out. The only time you have a real problem with opening the back is when the film is wound out of the cassette to the takeup spool and it gets exposed to the light.

- Randy

James,

That all depends, and it's not the middle of the film that's the problem, it's the edges. I've seen students who did this with older cameras and the take up has to be quite tight to prevent light from seeping in from the top and bottom. Many times it only gets into the rebate area, but I've seen sprocket hole flares too, even from some more modern cameras. With the camera he is talking about, I'd not be surprised to see frame edges effected if that had happened. Any slack at all in the take up spool and you've got penetration, at least in my experience...

- Randy

Years ago when I was a PJ, from time to time I'd develop a stringer's roll of film along with my own. I noticed that he had some fogging issues once in a while, and I called him on it.

He asked me what fogging was, and I told him.

He said, "Oh. Sometimes I can't remember if I have film in the camera, so I just open the back a little bit and peek at it......"

Boy's not right in the head.

A lot of cameras with manual winding, if you advance the film lever it will transport the manual winding lever, if the manual winding lever doesn't turn at all with the film advance lever then you probably don't have film loaded.

I learned this trick a few weeks back when I misloaded a roll of film.