EOS Rebel XS/1000D announced

shuo_zhao

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if the XTi has been discontinued, one would think the prices would reflect the close-out. Instead, Amazon has increased their XTi prices recently. Yeah, I know it has to do with the value of the dollar vs other currencies, the phases of the moon, the manipulation of supply by the major oil companies and a lack of a viable national photographic policy, yada, yada, yabadabdoo. But it's a Canon tradition to lower prices when discontinuing models.

When you consider that the XS has nothing that really improves on the XTi, has a few new features that are questionable in usefulness while lacking some features of the XTi that are useful AND it will more expensive than the XTi--well, maybe the XTi is worth buying even at the new and higher price.

The XS really seems to correspond to the XT moreso than the XTi.

I am not suprised by this. The XSi is very full featured for an entry level camera and expensive relative to the competition in a price sensitive point in the market.

Bad for me though as without this Canon would have had to drop the price of the XSi. Now I think they will try to hold its price up.

I agree with Bob though. If I didn't have any lenses then I would go for the K200D. It seems like a much more refined and better thought out product and the in-body IS has to be the icing on the cake at the entry level.

I do think a metal skinned drebel would be a winner for those interested in fondle factor. Half the G9's appeal is the styling. It certainly isn't the image quality which is comparable to other P&Ss in its class.

Moreoever, Nikon and Pentax seem to be styling there DSLRs to look a bit sexy. Canon's offerings by contrast are very bland.

D40 users generally falls into two categories:

A - beginners, newbies, people who just "converted" from using P&S cameras, and so on...

B - Semi-pro users and enthusiasts on a budget looking for a 2nd body. (The D40 is considered a good choice because of its low pixle density, and presumably, low noise)

I think people in the first category would actually prefer something with a very high pixle count, that's why we now have P&S cameras w/ 13+ MP and the D40x/D60.

The XS has is clearly a better camera than the D60, because it has better AF that works with all lenses, live-view, and direct controls (instead of menu based ones on the D60).

I hope this means that they are making the shift to a low and midline product lineup that is more like Nikon's; one that I like a whole lot better: Two low-end models with slightly different features (D40 and D60), one mid-range model (D80), one "almost pro" model (D300).

I would much rather have a true D300 competitor than a 5D replacement. An approx. $2000, basically pro-bodied camera with the APS-C sensor. This means AF that competes with D300!

The 5D is the odd man out in the Canon and Nikon lineups. A consumer-bodied full frame camera.

I am hoping that in the future, they structure as Nikon did, and add another offering between the 40D and 1D. I might stay with Canon if that happens before year's end.

As for the 5D-style camera, who knows. Just keep it as a separate model, I guess, at the approx. $3,000 price point. Seven digital bodies might sound like too many, but I think it would make a good lineup to battle Nikon's current model structure.

Bob... Lipstick on a pig. I'm still laughing.

I agree with what Correct Exposure said. I see the Nikon d40 everywhere. Its like everyone is buying these instead of P&S. I see these things at every event that I shoot. Everytime I turn around, someone its standing there with a D40. Its got all the "Spec" that interests people for the $. Most of these people dont think about anything but "MP vs Price"

Smart move by Canon to capture some of this "gravy". People are pooring it out all over the place, why shouldnt Canon get some on their biscuit. In the end, we all win because when the competition goes up, we get the good stuff instead of them holding out on upgrades like they did with the 20D,30D. With all this going on, I cant wait to see what the 5D Mark II brings to the table. I think Nikon is about to get another swift kick in the balls if history repeats itself.

This new 1000D looks to me like a 400D, with the AF sensor of the 350D and the battery/SD card of the 450D.

Great price, especially with the new IS kit lens. If the performance is similar to my 400D, I'd recommend this camera to any beginner looking for a DSLR but hesitant to spend a thousand dollars. This body+lens combo should be able to produce fantastic photos in capable hands.

Awesome value. Exciting news!

When compared to the 400D/XTI, the 1000D also adds live view, ISO in viewfinder, auto ISO, and firmware updates in exchange for somewhat lower spec autofocus and continuous RAW shooting buffer. Better looking too, more like a baby 40D. Probably good choices considering the target customer.