Fujica Compact 35...ever use one?

I honestly didn't intend to keep acquiring Fujicas (although I'd love to find a

Compact Deluxe), but I saw this one and thought that it would be a worthwhile

investment to see if the lens on it was as good as those on the 35-SE and 35-EE.

This one's in excellent condition, complete with a working meter and very smooth

shutter. It's a nice little camera with an automatic mode or full manual

operation, albeit with a very limited number of shutter speeds-4 of them to be

exact, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, and 1/250 plus B. It doesn't have quite the same

feeling of solid quality as the Olympus 35RC, but it's close and looks a little

more elegant with its timeless selenium meter. It isn't a rangefinder but a zone

focus camera. I'm pleased with the lens's performance, but I still think that

the lens on the 35-SE is superior to it, and to many others I've used, to be

quite honest. If anyone has used one, I'd love to hear your opinions about it.

In the meantime, here are a few shots I took with mine.<div>00Pm9p-48167684.jpg.2c0459222affd067f5480fe7436a08e7.jpg</div>

Fuji made quite a few simple cameras. But their lenses were superb. I had a Fujica half- frame that made excellent pics. Though the body-mechanism itself was not long lasting. Your Sunset over the Pond is Superb. I am reminded of the old Exas and Werras from Dresden, which had limited shutter speeds but made excellent pictures. Hope some small manufacturers will some day revive that art of producing simple good cameras.

Never have used one Andy, but it's one purdy camera. I would be very surprised if it doesn't shape up well to the others.

Your shots look good on the screen, so you may have to do some enlarging as David M says.

You seem to have become a Fuji convert, hope thats' not my fault!

Tony

David M--I think it's a very nice little compact, capable of taking nice pictures as long as I do everything right, such as not shooting with the lens wide open; it seems a little soft at that setting. I don't think it's in quite the same league as the two cameras you mentioned. I don't have an Oly SP (yet!) but i do have the QL17 and consider it to be one of my best performers. The Fujica does very well though, judging from the photos I got back from the lab, so I'm encouraged to keep putting it through its paces.

Chuck--Thanks for commenting. I'd love to see what you shot with your "Selenium cameras."

Tony--I will do some enlarging to see exactly how well this one performs. And yes, it is your fault! I loved your review of the 35-EE and found the 35-SE right after reading it. That camera has become a favorite, and I love the 35-EE as well. I don't know that I'd call myself a convert--my Lynx 1000 is still at the top of the heap along with a couple of other cameras, but the 35-SE is right there with them. Looking forward to your June review.

Hi, Andy I've got several Fujica 35mm cameras although I'm not really a collector of them. Folks just seem to think I am, and I've even been given some for nix - including a very nice example of the Compact 35 Deluxe you've been after. It must be a later model than your Compact 35 though, because it has a CDS meter eye above the relatively massive f1.8 4.5 cm Fujinon lens.

I'd offer it to you as a swap for something of interest iin the Karat line, but the mailing costs to and from Oz of late have become horrendous. Maybe I should bite the bullet and actually use it rather than let it acquire dust on one of my Trophy Cupboard shelves. It's certainly a damn fine looking camera, although I never could get used to the thumb-gear focussing that Fujicas often have. (Pete In Perth)

Luis--Thanks for commenting. I like it more and more, so I'll keep it.

Peter--I really appreciate the thought. Unfortunately I've traded or sold all

except one Karat, the Karat 36. I was never happy with my Karat IV because the

lens seemed to always produce a hazy image with very little contrast, even after

taking it apart and cleaning it. Plus, as you said, the cost of shipping would

be outrageous from your neck of the world to mine and vice versa. I do want that

camera, but it's pretty hard to find. Get your Compact Deluxe out and take some

pictures to post for us to see. You really get used to the focus wheel pretty

quickly, and it begins to make sense.

Ralf--Always glad to hear your opinion; thanks for the compliment.

I have the same model and use it all the time. It's a bit soft so I don't use it for

anything but snapshots and walking down the street. It's dead quiet though and with

zone focusing it's a great shoot-from-the-hip camera. It also synchs nicely with a

variety of cheap flashes so it's a fun one to take to parties.

• 2 years later...

<p>Hi Andy,<br>

I recently acquired a Fujica compact 35 from a friend and I am really interested in starting to use it but I have a few questions (as stupid as they may seem) that I was hoping someone with knowledge of this camera such as yourself could help me with.<br>

First of all it doesn't have an ASA setting for 400 film unlike all my other cameras? Is this bad or what?<br>

Also how do I know if the light sensor in my camera is working and If it isn't, when I set it manually should the bars on the left side of the view finder move down to what I set the shutter speed, apeture to?<br>

And finally is there any tips or anything someone that is new to this camera and doesn't fully understand it, like myself should know?<br>

I really hope you can help me with my questions regarding my Compact 35.<br>

Thanks very much!<br>

John</p>

• 13 years later...