what next

bob-c

Last June I obtained a K10d and in the fall the DA 50-135mm lens. (My school paid for them in

exchange for taking some yearbook pictures, I thought it was a great deal!) Anyway since then I

have purchased the Pentax 50mm f1.4, the Tamron 70-300mm zoom and a Pentax 28mm wide

angle lens. I like so shoot a wide range of things from landscape to sports. My question is, what

lens would you consider buying to add to this mix?

Thanks for being here, I have been reading this forum for many months and have learned a lot!

"My school paid for them in exchange for taking some yearbook pictures, I thought it was a great deal!"

Yeah it was!!! (Lucky bastard.)

You have sooooo many options between Pentax and 3rd party lenses, that I wouldn't know where to begin. The lenses Tom mention are all very good, but you may not need those very long, fast DA* primes (and they're over a grand, too). Maybe what's missing right now is the wide angle, which is capped at 28mm for you. Consider the Sigma 10-20mm, which has a great reputation. Or if you prefer a prime, Pentax will be releasing a DA 15mm Ltd at some point in the unknown future. They do currently have a DA 14mm f/2.8 available, but it's quite a large lens. Also from Pentax in the wide angle are 2 zooms: DA 12-24mm f/4 and DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 fisheye.

It all really depends on what you will be shooting. If you say "everything", then you'll need to buy "every lens" :-)

The best deal I've head of!!! Lucky you!

As Miserere says. It does indeed depend on your shooting needs.

Technically, the best "match" for your DA*50-135mm is the DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, as both are weather resistant, with SDM focus, and have the fast pro style f/2.8 constant-while-zooming aperture. I shoot some sports as well, including some hockey. I find although the 16-50mm would be useful, my likewise fast-aperture 28-70mm is more useful. The extra wide end is not as important. You might consider the fine Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, available for under $400. I think B&H has it in stock. Wide angle needs can be met as a separate matter.

The coming Pentax 17-70mm f/4 will be a good all-round lens, but the f/4, though faster than average, may not produce the needed higher shutter speeds for some action shooting, under dimmer ( as in cloudy weather or indoor hockey) conditions. It will also not always blur background quite as much, or qive as bright a view in the VF. Only you will know which FL works out best for your needs, and how much you need f/2.8 aperture.

Good move, getting the 70-300mm.

You bought a Pentax 28mm?? Lucky again- hard to come by. I have had the "FA" 28mm f/2.8 for years. Is this the one you have? Nice compact high performance prime, and the semi-wide angle on a DSLR is versatile for a nice lightweight walk-around setup. You're so lucky, if I were one of your crowd I'd have you buy my next lotto ticket!!

I'd do the DA* 16-50, or hold out for the 17-70...

Back when I was in school, I had a free ride plus $1000/month working as the

newspaper graphics/photo editor. What was left over from filling my stomach and gas

tank went into my camera bag. That's when I bought my Tak-A 70-200 f/4 (NEW!).

That was a GREAT lens on the P30t...