Shooting in the US, as a Canadian. - Advice needed

kenny_c

Hi guys,

Can someone give me some insight / experience on dealing with over the border

weddings? Assuming the money / transaction is done in Canada, so is the

client... am I legally able to cross the border to shoot? I guess this is

mainly for Canadian photographers... but I'd like to hear some American

perspective with Canada as well... as occasionally I might have an American

friend to come shoot in Canada with me... cheers..

Do you have a passport? That will be the first consideration, as entry to the U.S. side may require you to have one.

Second, the U.S. side man or lady will ask "for what purpose" are you entering the U.S.? If you have no 'work' visa, and a car load of camea equipment, you may have a situation to deal with.

Local photographers in the U.S. are happily paying taxes to run their businesses. You, a visiting photographer, may not get a very happy welome to the local business area.

Several years ago, it was easy to go to Windsor from Detroit, but today?

I'm in the UK - however, some things apply across the board: you will need a passport; you may need a temporary work visa; you will still pay your taxes to the government of the country in which you are permanently resident and usually based for work (especially if the fee for work has come from a resident in your own country in the first place).

Work permits are often tied in with residency of some sort - but this may not always be the case and you should check with an advice bureau or embassy.

On the other hand, you could always just be a guest attending a friend's wedding with a camera if it's a one-off - but if you are going to make a habit of it, that's another matter I'd say.

Be careful regarding your friend - especially if it is perceived that he may be in your employ...

I just got back from Canada. The border police on both sides asked a lot of questions, such as was your trip business or pleasure. I'd strongly suggest finding out if you just need a one day work visa.

I entered and returned with just a birth certificate and a drivers licence. I'd hate to give you the wrong advice, but I think you are fine with just the birth cert and drivers licence.

Soon passports will be required and birth certs will no longer be accepted. I don't know the actual date that passports will be required. In the old days, 20 years ago, you could settle any payments with cash, but I highly recommend being totally honest. The border patrol were nice then too joked a bit, gave you advice where to go and park, but you can't mess around with them anymore. If the border police decide to look at your photos and you have 1000 images of a wedding you could be in trouble.