Lense

If a lens says "Wertzler Leitz" or "Leica Emarit" it is for sure one of those funny russian fakes. Or a misspelling right from the factory which makes it a valuable collector's piece in the leicaphile world ;-)

Ulrik

Since we are on the topic of spelling mistakes...

For those of you whose first language is English, there is no "e" on the end of the word "lens"!

For those of you who speak and write English as a second, third, fourth language or more, I envy you and always overlook any mistakes in spelling or grammar.

Some claim 'lense' is an archaic spelling, still allowed in one or two modern

dictionaries, apparently, but I am not so sure. It is usually a mistake, although

surprisingly prevalent on the net. It cannot be the right spelling for an international web

forum. Dan Quayle, US Vice-Presidential hopeful, got into trouble for correcting a

school pupil's spelling of potato, which Dan thought should have an e on the end.

Meanwhile, 'Wertzler' seen even once? I don't think so. Visually creative people

sometimes do not have spelling as a long suit. It doesn't matter.

The non-standard spelling probably due to 'lens', although singular, ending with an 's' which is the regular way to form a plural in English. The plural of 'lens' is 'lenses', which makes it seem reasonable to write the singular as 'lense'.

Sorry, let me describe precisely what the lens says, sorry about the English.

Elmarit-R 1:2.8/35

Leitz

Above letters in caps

Those on ebay i saw have Wetzlar before Leitz? Mine is 55E, should be the third version. Why is mine missing Wetzlar? is it normal?

The Leitz factory was sold in 1988 and became Leica GMBH the new Leica Company did not get the right to use the name Leitz. Your lens is made before this date but close to it, the E55 is the late version ,lenses may also have Wetzlar engraved it is the place of manufacture.

Let me assure you this is still one of the best performing wide SLR lenses available superb close up definition too ,better in fact than the faster Summicron. Actually I do not think there is a version IV I am not even sure this one is still in production.

Just for interest sake the word lens is related to the German word for lentils

yes the food type. In German its Linsen chosen to describe a lens on account of its similar shape.I must say I struggle with English sometimes as well never having been to any English scool.

Cheers Manfred

Manfred,

Your English is much better than my German, and I studied German at University (a long time ago).

I just read a classified ad where someone is selling "a lens with googles".

Let me just clarify this; googles (Google) is an internet search engine and goggles are a Leitz accessory. 8-)

Stu